How do you guys program drums???

jpsmithrocks

Mar 10, 2011
Los Angeles
I've been listening to IAA and stuff that nick (shredderforhire) has worked on and it got me thinking. If those drums are programmed, I am astronomically impressed I would like to learn how to program similar type drums and would like to know how nick and anyone who is interested in addressing the topic how you guys do it???

Again this aimed directly at Nick and other's who have produced similar style drum tracks.

All of the above... I previously would use ez drummer and then superior drummer but wife I got all the slate stuff, kontakt 4 and a large chunk of joeys stuff I want to be able to program drums like the stuff I'm hearing on joeys productions with programmed drums and as mentioned before nicks stuff with programmed drums. What software you guys use, how the parts are structured, when in the process the drums are created and if at all possible samples of what was achieved with an explanation of how.

Thank you for all who have responded up until this point

Joey fill to chime with your two cents as well

One of the most important things is to think like a drummer. Think about how many things you can hit at once, which hand would be hitting what (left hand typically doesn't have as much power as a right hand hit), how soft/hard the hit would be, etc... Without this mentality, it doesn't matter what software/DAW you use, it just won't sound real. Then after you have all of this down , there's still the mixing portion.

What I think is quite good is to edit with a grid present but not so that your notes snap to it. That way you have a bit of variation!

Scott Horner said:
One of the most important things is to think like a drummer.

+1 I'm a drummer so I'm pretty good at programming. Important things for me are velocities and timing.
For writing music that's a whole different thread, I could make a tutorial if enough people cared haha
But for "realism" remember to make left hand slightly softer than right, velocities go down as a fill goes on, or a difficult part, and other natural things. Ex: it's natural to rush a hard part or a fill and to drag repetitive parts.
That's my 2cents

(left hand typically doesn't have as much power as a right hand hit)

I would have to disagree. If I ask a drummer for rimshots. 4 times out of 5 his right hand sucks dick but his left is on point (obviously swapped for leftys).
It just matters with what he is hitting and when like fills and rolls his right would usually be harder but regular 4 counts and 2-steps his left is would be harder.

This is just with what I have seen within the past couple years of recording real drums.

I would have to disagree. If I ask a drummer for rimshots. 4 times out of 5 his right hand sucks dick but his left is on point (obviously swapped for leftys).
It just matters with what he is hitting and when like fills and rolls his right would usually be harder but regular 4 counts and 2-steps his left is would be harder.

This is just with what I have seen within the past couple years of recording real drums.

You're probably right. I've always played open handed and could never grasp the proper cross hand technique so I think that's where I was coming from.

Style wise, just program drums more, more practice = better understanding of drums and a better style of drum writing.

It wouldn't matter if I was using a kit full of ballclaps, I would still program the drums the same as I usually do

Although, I've played drums for the last 6/7 years so I guess my point is invalid as I can play most of what I write.

It's the thing as getting good at writing songs in guitar pro, practice.

Getting a grasp of different styles of drumming.

For IAA stuff, go listen to travis orbin, then make it a little more basic, add in a few extra splash hits and bell hits, should be in the ball park.
Basic beat > over played splashes and bells > more snare hits if needed.