Composers - How do you normally do drums?

do you like that korg?

i've been really interested in getting something...SOMETHING that i can use to physically tap out drums, rather than clicking with a mouse

hell, i was at the pawn shop yesterday, and they were selling the drum kit for the video game rockband for $50, and i was rrrrrrrrrrrrreally tempted to get it and install triggers on it. if i had room for it in my tiny place, i totally would've, but i'm guessing those won't be hard to find down the road when all the kiddies start getting bored with the game.

The PadKontrol is great. I found using a keyboard to tap out drum parts to be far better than drawing them in with the mouse, and the PadKontrol is an equal amount of an improvement over the keyboard. The 2D layout makes it easier to use than the keyboard for the drums, and with decent samples you can really get a feel for doing hits at different velocities. Possibly the point where it really comes into its own is for fills. Drawing simple 4/4 stuff is easy with the mouse, but when you want a few tom rolls or crashes, it's far quicker to just tap out the pattern you hear in your head than to try and work out where in the grid to click, and then adjust velocities to fit the groove, etc.

If you already have a desk, mic and drumagogg, forget padkontrol.

Mic up your desk, adjust your pre so you get a decent dynamic range, hit record, tap in your rhythm. Convert to midi with dramagogg, and there you have a midi track with very human (you played it yourself right?) time and velocity variations. im sure there's probably an even cheaper way of doing this, i just use drumagogg because i have it and it works.

Real drummers might want to even use drum sticks. i dont though.

Personally, I find an sm57 close mic'd about 60 degrees off axis works best. Your mileage may vary depending on the type of wood your desk is made of.

If you already have a desk, mic and drumagogg, forget padkontrol.

Mic up your desk, adjust your pre so you get a decent dynamic range, hit record, tap in your rhythm. Convert to midi with dramagogg, and there you have a midi track with very human (you played it yourself right?) time and velocity variations. im sure there's probably an even cheaper way of doing this, i just use drumagogg because i have it and it works.

Real drummers might want to even use drum sticks. i dont though.

i tried doing that before, but for whatever reason, couldn't quite get it to work

what i did instead was to set up some mics in front of me on a stand, and tapped out some fills and stuff on them with pencils. it worked, but it was sort of a PITA.

i'm still really considering getting 1 of those sets of rock band drums, and sticking these un-used triggers i have on them....