MIDI Drums - How do? :/

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
Alright, so I've put this off long enough.
At this point, I am only able to mix/master stuff at my place. I cannot track due to neighbors and a ghetto neighborhood. Haha.

So with that being said, I need to learn to use MIDI drums. Other people's, that is.

I've always recorded live drums, so I've never had the need to learn how to use MIDI.
I know how MIDI works, blah blah blah.

So my question is.. With my setup, how can I make use of using other people's MIDI drums?

My setup is:

-Reaper
-Drumagog
-SSD (I have Kontakt, but i don't use it. I tried to use it once, but I got confused by the whole idea and never touched it again. I always just record live drums and sample the .WAVs with Drumagog. That has always worked.)

So how do I take other people's MIDI and create a usable file for myself? Or whatever..:D

Thanks in advance, guys.

I'll be the first to say you're looking for something preety weird maybe? you mean using like pre-made loops? if that's what you need go get ez-player, works wonders for a start, but in the end, if you want it right programming, you've got to do it yourself, and using a lot logic, you know, 2 hands, 2 feet, velocity, speed, tempo variations, etc. Hope it helps.

I'm not looking for anything weird.

I guess my question is this...

A lot of people supply people with a MIDI drum track.
How do I take that drum track and use it?

That's what I want to know.

I do this often enough so I'll describe a quick way to go about it using Cubase.
Load your drum sampler into your DAW. (I use Superior 2.0, or NI Battery).
Import the midi file and set the output of the drum track to the sampler.
Hopefully you don't have to mess with drum maps.

Hope that is helpful.

This is the way I do it in Sonar it should be the same in others but i'm not 100%.

Create an audio track and call it drums. Click on the fx and click add synth. Pick Kontact 3.
Double click on kontact and when it pops up look down the left side, you'll see SS Drums somewhere. Click on load multi and you'll get an option for keyboard or vdrums, i use keyboard. click that and simply choose your kit. It will load in Kontact.

Now create a midi track. Go to set the out on your midi track, choose Kontact3. Simply import your midi on this track and it should play back through kontact. You'll get readings on the meter of the audio track you put kontact on. Plus you'll hear SSD.

Easy mode. Load up Kontakt with SSD and however many outputs you want. Slide the midi into the input or set the output of your new midi track to SSD. Everything should already be routed properly if you're using Kontakt. Print the output tracks and go on as you would real drums.

From what I've figured, its way easier to creat midi drums in Guitar Pro. But I guess you need to know how to work that program as well.

I work this way:

Get midi tracks from band.
load it into the daw with SD2, set the sounds for snare toms and overhead (usually kick gets replaced 100% so I dont care about that too much)
Print single elements the way I want them (solo kick for kicktrack, solo snare for snare track after making adjustment in SD2, same for toms and overhead)
Personally I hate to have miditracks in the mixing session. just leaves me open for too many choices + fucks with my system^^
I also "learned" with recorded drums and have to programm them now, so I just import the printed tracks and replace them with samples (looks a bit more like real drums :lol:).

Programming Drums yourself is another profession though, but I don't think that this is what you're asking for, right?

you gotta be careful with the mapping, pretty much every sampler comes with a .pdf or similar file with the mapping. When I import guitar pro midi drums (which are general midi mapping) into Addictive Drums I always use the midifilemapper app to change the mapping automatically and then adjust in my DAW if necessary (mostly cymbals and snare rolls)

Subjective. I can pretty much fly with drum programming on Cubase, it took something like 2-3 hours for me to both interpret and program the drums of Holy Diver for the Dio tribute

Well I guess its up to the individual. But i just think its easier to do it with GP5 :)