How do you pan your drums?

Yeah, I also feel really uncomfortable when listening to audience perspective.. I have to pretend he's got his hi-hat/ride switched around for some reasons, or is a left-hand drummer. I just can't imagine it from audience perspective. Also makes it really hard to work out what they're playing if they're playing intricate stuff on the toms, cos its all backwards.

The way I see it, a drummer or air-drummer will notice the difference and want a drummer-perspective.. a guitarist, etc. or just a person who doesn't play music will probably not even notice it.

I would like to kill the first person who panned the snare dead center, I still find it very odd because I'm a drummer myself.

In real life that is not possible, either you have the bassdrum or the snare dead center, not both, therefor, for a more true natural sound you'd have to pan the snare a bit to the left (drummer perspective) but very few people do it that way. It just sounds weird because we are used to the centered sound, I guess.

I would like to kill the first person who panned the snare dead center, I still find it very odd because I'm a drummer myself.

In real life that is not possible, either you have the bassdrum or the snare dead center, not both, therefor, for a more true natural sound you'd have to pan the snare a bit to the left (drummer perspective) but very few people do it that way. It just sounds weird because we are used to the centered sound, I guess.

Yeah, this occurred to me from looking at the above pic Ahj posted (cuz it probably wouldn't have otherwise :D), but you're right, at this point if the snare on an album were to be a little to the left it'd drive me bonkers!

Drummer here using audience perspective.

I prefer that the listeners feel too rubbish to be in the band and are therefore stuck in the audience. :p

audience pan

unless i get that weird guy who kinda went to engineering school and hates it for some reason... then against my own will, for the client, i will do drummer pan

why does everyone want the person listening to the music to feel like they're behind the kit? lol... makes no sense!

and im even a drummer!

I mix drummer perspective because I'm a drummer and it just sounds right to me.

But if you think about it, audience perspective from anything more than 10 feet away would pretty much be mono. The only way your going to get that exaggerated stereo spread we mix in is if your sitting behind the kit. Not that it really matters.

I mix drummer perspective because I'm a drummer and it just sounds right to me.

But if you think about it, audience perspective from anything more than 10 feet away would pretty much be mono. The only way your going to get that exaggerated stereo spread we mix in is if your sitting behind the kit. Not that it really matters.

That's it. Add air drumming to that and you've got the reason why I always do it. Having an exaggerated reverse stereo picture of the kit is just confusing to me. I like to feel in control, and panning the drumkit out in front like the drummer feels more empowering

thats how I've always done it, with the kick being the center and then the snare just a little off to the side. It always made more sense to me that way I guess ¯\(°_o)/¯

Kick:center
Snare:center
HTom:+10
MdTom:center
LwTom:-10
FlTom1:-15
Fltom2:-17 to-20
OHL:-40 to -60
OHR:+40 to +60

I hate went tom go from hard R to Hard L, sound not natural imo.
But first rule's for me is this: always pan drumkit like real kit (exept if drummer have specific request)...

Btw, sorry for my bad english...