buss sends to reverb and how to pan?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
OK now on the buss sends of my drums should i pan them the same as drums are panned? I'm sending to reverb aux track and also a aux track with a compressor.

Doing Joey's method to squash drums and then add some verb to bring back sounds awesome so far but just wondering how and if you guys pan busses!!

Hey, broken! I don't understand what you are asking, exactly! :)

Usually you pan the individual channels, for example

tom 1 = L70
tom 2 = L15
tom 3 = R30
tom 4 = R90

Then you send each channel to your stereo tom bus.

The tom bus gets an aux send to a stereo reverb that's set to "Mighty Tom Thunder of Walhalla".

Now both the tom bus and the reverb channel should pan the tom L70, L15, R30 and R90. Just like the individual channels.

I actually don't do it like that, though. I send the toms to different reverbs depending on tom size.

A stereo bus return should be panned hard left/right and whatever you send to it will retain it's pan position from the original channel. Why are you grouping them in the first place?

Here's an unrelated to bussing/grouping tip that will definitely help - Listen to your OH's in solo and take note of where the toms are in the stereo field. Try to match that placement with the pan on your tom tracks. It will create more definition to the entire kit.

I don't know if I understand the question fully either, but I would say pan the reverb a little farther or at least the same amount in the same direction as the drums are panned, it will sound more realistic.

He just wants to know if he should be panning the sends from his drum tracks (for parallel processing) the same as the drum tracks themselves. If you don't, you smear the kit.

He just wants to know if he should be panning the sends from his drum tracks (for parallel processing) the same as the drum tracks themselves. If you don't, you smear the kit.

Yea cool you understand and thanks guys for the quick awnser. I was doing it like i was supposed to but was not 100% sure if people did other ways....

Thanks again:headbang:

Here is another question though.....

Do you guys throw a reverb on an aux track and put at 100% wet and at unity gain and the adjust sends volume from each drum track going to reverb to adjust amount? or maybe put reverb at like 15% wet and full volume and then adjust volume from each drum track send??

Im kinda curious how you go about reverb and how much for drums?

Do you guys throw a reverb on an aux track and put at 100% wet and at unity gain and the adjust sends volume from each drum track going to reverb to adjust amount? or maybe put reverb at like 15% wet and full volume and then adjust volume from each drum track send??

Im kinda curious how you go about reverb and how much for drums?

I adjust the amount of wet... I may be doing it wrong, though, I imagine it wouldnt matter much which way its done... ?

whats a general volume of send going to reverb you might use on toms or snare?

I know different kind of music would be different amounts of reverb but a general for metal with blast beats.....

as little as you can get away with for blasts.....reverb will cloud up fast stuff very quickly. I'd settle for a tiny bit of room ambience and leave it at that.

your tools arent you broken 81?
in preferences, click 'send pan follows main' or something like that...
then wherever you pan things, your sends will follow