Recording in mono?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
When you guys are tracking a band do you even bother to like pan your overheads and drums and pan guitars or is it better to track everything mono/not panned so you can hear how it works together.

Maybe also to achieve better playing by 2 separate guitarist. To me it really seems to show the flaws if to guitarist are playing sloppy to each other when the guitars are not panned. If i pan them it can kinda hide a sloppy performance a bit but I'm just wondering your guys take on tracking a band and panning......

I pan too, it helps everyone focus better I think. Make sure you pan the drums for the drummer's perspective or it'll sound weird to him in his cans.

I'm by no means the expert like many people on here, but I tend to pan drums when tracking as well. It sometimes "inspires" the musicians to hear things sounding bigger and better in their cans.

However, I have to disagree with this:

No if everything is sitting in the middle then everything is fighting with eachother

Maybe it's from my days of mixing live sound, where everything was mono. But I find when I'm starting a final mixdown, if I start off in mono, and get everything sound good and sitting well together, when I start panning things...it already sounds great. In fact, someone here (don't remember who and when) wrote a post/topic about this subject some time ago. It was a really good thread.

Just my 2 cents