adding reverb to drums.

necrosector

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2010
florida
I was wondering, how you guys do it.Typical procedure would be to have multi track going to a drum bus,and have each individual instrument of your kit sent to an aux where reverb is inserted.Right?...Where then the wet signal is being returned?Is it going back to the drum bus for further processing along with the dry signal using whatever tape,compressor etc..or is it going to the master bus unprocessed?Or what's better?I really cannot decide for myself.
Thank you.

You can create an FX track with a reverb plugin such as as d-verb, Rverb, freeverb, or an impulse of a room/plate/hall whatever. And send a little bit of your snare there if needed (such as 15%). And then for the whole Drum Bus you an send it to the reverb fx (if needed of course). Make sure that the reverb effect in the FX track is 100% wet. I think thats how most of us do it. I asked a similar question ages ago when i was newer. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...umroom-ir-drums-sim-i-e-superior-drummer.html

and you can also watch Clark Kents video he explains how he does it at about 4:05. I think thats how a lot of us do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dude.In this tutorial his FX channel's output is set as stereo out.My question was if anyone of you guys ever sends FX channel(in this case reverb) back to drums group channel so the wet reverb signal is then on the same group channel as dry signal and then gets processed together with dry signal using for example tape sim? I guess not.
Thank you anyways.

I usually send my reverb through the drum buss. I guess it really doesn't matter all that much which way you do it. Try both. One of the reasons is if I have a drum buss, and a separate reverb, then the drum reverb will stay on if I mute the drum buss. If you put it through the buss, you can mute them all together.

This is how i set up my drum group.

Kick and snare are sent directly to the drum bus. I send all my toms to a "tom bus" and i output the tom bus into the main drum bus. I create 2 FX tracks. One for snare, the other for toms. Once i adjust the settings to my liking, i set up a send from the snare to the "snare verb" and set a send from the "tom bus" to the "tom verb". Its quick, easy, and effective.

I use one fat convo reverb for my entire mix. Pretty much every instrument gets sent to it in some amount (guitars are like -18db going in but they're still there). I've experimented around with having different reverb buses for different instruments but I keep coming back to the master reverb as it helps make all the instruments sound like they're in the same space, which is particularly good for tracks recorded all direct with superior drummer

One stupid thing I do sometimes is flip the L/R on the reverb so things that are hard-panned will bounce off the opposite 'wall', which can do cool things for your stereo spread and seems to be more accurate to how sound actually behaves in a real space

What's being described with the reverb is similar to implementing the Haas effect... Only you're using reverb instead of a delay.