Correct Application Of Reverb

Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys i need a bit of help on applying reverb to tracks in my mixes. Is it better to create reverb bus and apply different amount of wet and dry to all tracks with the same verb or individual reverb on each tracks with different room settings?

Several buses for different types of reverb. Then send each instrument to whatever reverb you like. This way you run only a few instances of the plugin and still give reverb to any instrument you like.

Most of the time snare and toms are sent to a reverb bus, and vocals are sent another reverb bus and thats enough reverb for me. Generally of course.

I usually cut much higher, somewhere around 400 Hz, if not more. Oh and as for mixing the reverb, I usually do it in the school of adding reverb until you hear it clearly in a full mix (take notes of the amount of reverb, ie. -6 dB bus), then solo the track and pull down the reverb until it sounds good (take notes again, for example -12 dB), and finally put the reverb to the halfway point between those two (-9 dB in this case).

+1 to everything said so far. I normally have a bus for a vocal plate, drum room and drum plate (for slower sections)

I also tend to use delay on my vocals and guitars much more than reverb.

If you're doing black metal stuff it's easy as hell... just throw on the reverb on the master channel, turn the dry signal all the way down and the wet all the way up. Mix is done.

... black metal "musicians" make me cry. Seriously. No offense to anyone around here but atleast those I've encountered in this town are complete morons who know NOTHING about ... nothing.

If you're doing black metal stuff it's easy as hell... just throw on the reverb on the master channel, turn the dry signal all the way down and the wet all the way up. Mix is done.

... black metal "musicians" make me cry. Seriously. No offense to anyone around here but atleast those I've encountered in this town are complete morons who know NOTHING about ... nothing.
Haha well it's definitely not just BM musicians, but yeah, a lot of them don't know what production is and think it's cool for it to sound like total shit.