Layering Reverb

Gar23

Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys,

I was recently talked with a composer who mentioned that he once worked with a piece that had seven layers of reverb. To me this seems insane but the piece itself was amazing sounding. Does anyone have any resources on the topic of layering reverb? I'm going to be messing around with it a ton tomorrow but I have no idea where to start. I'm thinking i'll split three reverb instances into seperate auxes and EQ them to be low, middle and high. Then group some instruments together into around 3 or 4 separate busses. Give each bus it's own reverb and, through what must be a complex series of sends, send each bus to varying amounts of the three other reverbs.

No idea if that's what it is but it seems like a starting point. If anyone has any resources to help simplify the reasoning behind layering reverb that would be great.

thanks!

Well one of the things you can do with multiple reverbs is pan the reverbs to give a bit more of a sense of space.

You can also group some stuff together so some instruments are closer (more dry, less pre-delay) and some are further away (more wet, longer pre-delay). This allows you do to a bit of front to back panning. If you wanted to you could layer it so for example your solo violin appears front and centre with a drier reverb but also a little in one of the further away reverbs too to put it in the same 'space' as those instruments as well, just not as far away, panned however you want.

With this approach you can also automate the wet dry of your sends to each of your reverbs to move the instruments forwards and backwards in the mix as and when necessary.

I don't have any experience with this program, but Vienna MIR looks pretty cool for putting instruments in 'space'. http://www.viennamirpro.com/