Reverb/Delays - Mono, Stereo & Busses

jimwilbourne

I try.
Aug 20, 2010
Boston, MA
here's something I've been fighting with:

when making Aux tracks for your Reverbs and Delays, how do you guys decided if it should be a mono or stereo track?

in addition, where do you send your FX Aux tracks?
for example:
if you have a snare reverb, do you send it through the drum buss or do you send it straight to the master buss?
if both, how to you know which to pick?

what about reverb busses?
is it a bad idea to send all your processed reverbs to the same place to group them together and then balance them within the mix?

am I losing my mind and making things overly complicated?

Depends. For example, if you want your guitar mono track to spread out a bit - you go stereo. On the other hand, if you want to give your vocals some ambiance, and yet want them to stay strictly in the center, to avoid clashing with guitars [Ermin explained it rather good when I asked him for Disturbed vocals, and 'the donut hole' (or giving space to vocals)] - then you go mono.
If you want your tracks to gel better with other tracks in the mix - go stereo, etc.

As for the 2nd question - I always send them to master bus, never felt I should be doing it differently :confused:

For the 3rd, I don't see what would be a benefit to group verbs that serve for different tracks within the mix, even grouping verbs that serve the same track is questionable IMO, but I could see some sort of point in doing it.

And for the last question - yes, you are way over thinking it. Especially 2nd and 3rd question - go check it out yourself, those things are strictly empirical (sp?). That's the fun part, experimenting, being creative. Don't mix using Web browser, if you get my meaning ;)

Cheers

some FX I've sent to the master bus
some I've sent through the group bus
they all have different outcomes

how do you feel about different instruments sharing the same Reverb Bus?

thanks for the insight!

Different instruments sharing the same reverb bus? Do that all the time. ;)
If you think about it, it's sort of 'logical', for ex. when you want to emulate some space where the band 'is playing', you can send all the instruments through that single reverb. I'd say it's pretty 'common' thing to do.

Different instruments sharing the same reverb bus? Do that all the time. ;)
If you think about it, it's sort of 'logical', for ex. when you want to emulate some space where the band 'is playing', you can send all the instruments through that single reverb. I'd say it's pretty 'common' thing to do.

oh most definitely. Sometimes, I want wide, huge overheads; tight snare and kick. So I'll send a (tiny) bit of the guitars and other instruments to a verb bus. Don't be afraid to surgically EQ your verb.

Personally, I feel that the more relaxed the section or song, the more I use grouped verb.