Reverb

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey fellas...

It maybe another dumb newbie-question, but I'm not quite sure, how to get my reverbs right.
It's not only about the sound, it's also about "how to integrate reverb into my project".

So, I know that one should create an AUX-track with the reverb-plugin and send all the other instruments to that track, right?

So, what I'm asking myself regularly is:
Should I crank the send-fader on the instruments and then turn up the volume of the AUX-track? I think so, right - so I can always regulate the reverb of everything with one fader.

The other question is, how to get the reverb sound properly. I mean, I read a few threads regarding reverb and I also got some cool information out of it (a lot of people seem to work with two reverbs - one for the ambience itself and a plate for the snare for example). So, please let me ask you for some "templates" to learn from. Or please recommend me some cheap or free reverb-plugins with good presets to learn from. I really would appreciate it :worship:

Another question that came to my mind - I guess it's one of the most basic questions I've ever asked. :D

Do you guys SEND the guitar tracks to a guitar-bus (to get an AUX-track) or do you OUTPUT them to a guitar-bus?

Do you guys SEND the guitar tracks to a guitar-bus (to get an AUX-track) or do you OUTPUT them to a guitar-bus?

well it depends if you are just sending them to a reverb or a delay then you SEND so that you have wet and dry signal if you are sending them to an EQ or compressor then you can OUTPUT them because you only want the wet signal. At least thats the way i do it.

well it depends if you are just sending them to a reverb or a delay then you SEND so that you have wet and dry signal if you are sending them to an EQ or compressor then you can OUTPUT them because you only want the wet signal. At least thats the way i do it.

Okay, that makes sense to me - d'oh :D
Maybe it's just a Logic-only thing ... but I can't SEND from an "OUTPUT-BUS" (if you know, what I mean *haha*).

Well, anyway. Thanks so much for your answer. Sometimes it's the stupid questions that have to be answered, right ;)

Don't be afraid to EQ the crap out of the reverb channel...just insert an EQ after the reverb insert. Especially for the snare drum, I often take out a lot of crappy sounding frequencies...generally wider bands more than little surgical cuts.

Here's a screenshot of the settings I used on a past project (for the snare verb). These specific settings of course are nothing special in and of themselves, but they at least will give you a general idea of how much EQing I will do.

q6au9.jpg

I give you a tip for the reverb thing... It might seem more than obvious, but when I was working on a demostudio, I didn't realize it until it was too late (read: ~third demosession). When you mix the reverb in, turn up your speakers quite loud, because you can hear the reverb better this way. If you mix it in with speakers low, you will keep adding the reverb way too much and it will end up sounding like muddy shit.

Aaron is right on there: very often it helps a lot by rolling off everything above 8 or 9khz to reduce the "cheap 80s reverb tail" you get very often. Same with everything under 200hz. I take that out most of the time, too ...

A lot of people seem to throw an EQ on the reverb bus BEFORE the reverb, so that none of the mud is getting reverberated rather than trying to cut shit out afterwards...

It depends on what you are trying to achieve ... both can make sense, but having the EQ before the reverb does not have an effect on the characteristics of the reverb. Especially if it sounds to "plastic" or "digital" then you won't be able to change that with EQ before the verb.

I've done both, although these days I mainly use EQ behind the verb (as it also cuts out mud/rumble/bass that might get reverberated) ...

I wanted to ask a few questions about Reverb actually , so i figured i would just post here.
Im talking Main Heavy screaming vocals
I have been using RVerb from Waves, seems like its alright
What i do is add an FX Channel Track and choose Stereo (is this correct cause i read somewhere to use reverb in mono. i tried it but it didnt sound any better).
but i noticed when i use the Reverb in stereo and i pan the reverb in a little like 70% L & R its gets clearer and more pronounced...so im just wondering how you guys go about the panning of Rverb and if you guys use it in Mono/Stereo . And also im gonna trying Eqing the Revrb like you guys had mentioned......I know Rverb was a couple of EQ dampening things on it would that be used in the same way?
Also any have any tips on hi and low passing reverb on Main heavy Vocals?

thanks for any info i just want to make sure im on the right path or if im doing something wrong?

YES, thank you Zombie, I've always wanted to know about 'verb panning as well, especially for a source that's right up the middle, like main vox

Yeh because from what i can hear when i use the reverb in stereo and the Reverb is panned 100L and R its getting all funky with the gtrs that are panned 100L and R and i notice when i pan it gets clearer but i dunno
YES, thank you Zombie, I've always wanted to know about 'verb panning as well, especially for a source that's right up the middle, like main vox