the REVERB thread

i'm not using pro tools, otherwise d-verb would be the obvious one....i really dig the big man's work ;-)
i tried freeverb 2 which is supposedly similar to d-verb, but it always sounds really fake and cheap to me.
actually that's my main gripe with most reverbs, CHEAP sound. it's just not natural.
i'm still trying to figure out how andy gets his snare reverb to sound like that. it's pretty similar on most of his releases, yet i haven't found a plugin (or a way to dial it in) that resembles that sound.
i'd probably kill for an impulse of his reverb ^^

*Ahem* see my earlier post. And...it's SUPPOSED to sound fake, if you want that d-verb/sneap verb sound. It's not meant to sound like IR's of actual rooms.

fair 'nuff.

i fucking love reverb.

and im bringing the 80's thing BACK.

=D

Bless you, my son. :D

The M7 impulses and Logic's Space Designer are my go to's. I really suck on reverbs and delays though, either they're not audible enough or they just sound cheap and distracting. Mostly using plates on drums with a pre-delay of about 15-20ms.

I'd appreciate some tips on delays as well. Stereo/mono, how much feedback, whether you use modulation after them, what are your automations generally like etc.

I'd appreciate some tips on delays as well. Stereo/mono, how much feedback, whether you use modulation after them, what are your automations generally like etc.

Me too. I was actually wondering if some of you guys have a delay on the vocals all the time, or just as an effect?

listen to some andy wallace mixes. you will hear there´s hardly any reverb on vocals. just some tiny amount of delay sometimes.
for me personally they are too dry. i often use delay on vox but nearly always sent to a reverb.
the slower the song is the more feedback/longer delay times i give the delay. mostly i use nuendo´s standard double delay. easy to use and sounds great.

Reverbs are tough - I treat reverb the same way I do when I'm filtering lows... I'll bring it up until I can just about hear it, then I'll bring it down a tiny bit from there.

I respectfully disagree but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference

No, sorry mate, listen to some of your favourite productions - if you hear a massive reverb it tends to sound amateurish or 80s.

this is what's going to ruin metal production.

WE SHANT BE AFRAID TO DO OR TRY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

so please, all newbs, ignore this post.

This might be a bit of a sweeping statement - see above (amateurish or 80s). I think MetalSound is likely referring to sources you put a reverb on to help the mix rather than a focal effect - i.e. a short room verb with a medium-long pre-delay in parallel with the drum buss - it just makes everything sound larger and wider (if that's what's needed).

Reverbs are tough - I treat reverb the same way I do when I'm filtering lows... I'll bring it up until I can just about hear it, then I'll bring it down a tiny bit from there.

No, sorry mate, listen to some of your favourite productions - if you hear a massive reverb it tends to sound amateurish or 80s.

This might be a bit of a sweeping statement - see above (amateurish or 80s). I think MetalSound is likely referring to sources you put a reverb on to help the mix rather than a focal effect - i.e. a short room verb with a medium-long pre-delay in parallel with the drum buss - it just makes everything sound larger and wider (if that's what's needed).

Again...just a matter of personal taste on your part. ALL of my favorite productions have audible reverb. Some of us actually LIKE that sound. And for the record...are you saying Andy's (Sneap) mixes sound amateur? Because there's healthy amounts of reverb on the drums.

Again...just a matter of personal taste on your part. ALL of my favorite productions have audible reverb. Some of us actually LIKE that sound. And for the record...are you saying Andy's (Sneap) mixes sound amateur? Because there's healthy amounts of reverb on the drums.

His mixes are amazing (but I don't like any of them, personally). Just a matter of taste really. I especially don't like the amount of reverb, that's probably my main gripe. So yeh, I don't like over the top reverb on drums. I'll always compress room mics and parallel compress the snare for ambience. Some room on the whole drum bus.

Contradicting myself totally - Mastodon's recent EP had a lot of ambience but a healthy amount was room ambience - worked perfectly. I'm a fan of Andy Wallace's drum mixes and Kurt Ballou's stuff - they're a reference point for me.

Check out Dysrhythmia - Psychic Maps if you want to hear a record with shit loads of reverb on the drums. Its all in the room mics!

Amazing really cos listen to Cathedral by Daylight Dies and the amount of reverb on that snare is awesome

Its a balance as far as I remember not a musical heart attack

reverbs always been a weak point for me as well but I never feel bad using lots just a bit silly but I do love it.

anybody getting good stuff from the new lexicon PCM bundle that just dropped? I admittedly gave it a quick spin on a cracked version for sampling purposes and i must say i deleted it after about an hour or so... my favorite verbs oddly enough are the ozone ones, i like making an aux off my drumbus (shells only, not cymbals) and printing an ambience track with ozone's reverb.

anybody getting good stuff from the new lexicon PCM bundle that just dropped? I admittedly gave it a quick spin on a cracked version for sampling purposes and i must say i deleted it after about an hour or so... my favorite verbs oddly enough are the ozone ones, i like making an aux off my drumbus (shells only, not cymbals) and printing an ambience track with ozone's reverb.

the Relab one?

I like the way Andy used reverb on Accept's new album. Listen on "The Abyss", the guitar plays on the left and there is a strong room reverb on the right. It makes the guitar sound huge. I noticed this method used on a lot of my favorite albums.

Recently I like running the snare to a hall reverb, it usually fattens up the snare a lot and makes it sound huge.

I hate the typical super dry sound alot of guys shoot for these days, I much prefer mixes with a bit of atmosphere and audible reverb. Just a taste thing! I'm liking the M7 impulses and some lexicon ones I got from a free impulses site a few years ago. I try other ones but always seem to come back to the same few. I use either a medium hall or go through the plates till I find one that fits the project.
Processing usually for me is just a high pass, maybe a suck in the 300-400 range if its too big a sound there. I used to low pass and compress the verb bus for more control but don't like it so much anymore. I try and use an impulse that fits it rather than go mess with settings,

Im a proud advocate of Softubes new TSAR-1 reverb, a fantastic quality algo verb with plenty of scope for almost any application,

http://softube.se/tsar1_reverb.php

The manual for TSAR-1 has some awesome reverb theory explained that can be adapted for any reverb use too

Try it you will love it!

I love the simplicity of the TSAR, but I still haven't tried it.

I hate surfing through all those parameters in Aether and the Lexicon verbs. I miss the days of Freeverb, where you have 5 options, dial em till it sounds good and just gogogo.

Yup thats one of the Softube design criteria for TSAR and most of their other gear, very straight forward to jump in and use without too many crazy parameters to mess with but all the essential features,
Ive worked with these guys since they started and they are the best, everything they do raises the bar on what has come before IMO

I'd agree for the most part, if we're comparing mostly to algorithmic plug-ins, but their EQs and saturation have absolutely NOTHING on Nebula... nothing. In the algo realm they have some of the best plug-ins without a doubt though. Some of the best looking UIs too!

Yeah the UI's are great,
ive not had and awful lot of luck with nebula as i use Protools 99% of the time so i have to use it through the VST Wrapper and it crashes all the time,
I have Cubase but i only really use that for project compatibility with other people so i can load up their projects and export the parts for use in PT,
I really should have a good go with nebula in Cubase, damn i wish they would make it RTAS compatible or Avid would support VST !

I do really like the FET Compressor for slamming vocals and giving them some dirt, ive never used a real 1176 so i dont know how close it really comes but i like what the FET does and its nicer than the powercore 247c.
I have a load of hardware Eq's im building into racks at the moment and was going to QClone them in my projects maybe i should have a go at making nebula programs too.
When i get time and finish my other hardware builds i will build an 1176 or 2, after i do a couple of GSSL's first.

Man this TSAR-1 reverb is fucking incredible. I am in love with the simplicity. I was torn between this and Redline, but I think I'll drop the extra cash for the Softube verb... The TSAR-1R plugin that is even more simple is also fucking great. I love simple plugins so much!

Ermz try this bastard out, it's great.