Ambience and Mono Room Mics / How to place them?

HvO

Sep 25, 2009
Hi,
how do you handle with drum ambience/room mics?

Do you record both? Ambience AND Mono Room? Or just one of them?
And how do you place your mics for Drum Ambience?

By the way, I love the sound of the EZX Metal Machine Ambience / Mono Room channels... :)

For me, it usually goes something like this:

OHs @ 4'
Mono Room @ 12'
Stereo Room @ ~18' (in the studio bathroom)

By combining the two mics, you can make the drums sound huge without the close and room mics sounding disconnected. The 12' mic "fills in" the time difference between the close/OH mics and the far room.

Dave can you talk to me a little about the mono room mic. How does it not affect the stereo field? If its crushed with a compressor and sent down the middle all the toms and cymbals will sound like they are coming from the center. I've always wondered about this. I usually use a fake stereo room with the shells close mixed and panned in, that way i can retain my stereo image. Am I over looking or over analysing something here?
Thanks Dave \m/ \m/

If you don't want it to affect the stereo field too much you need to roll off the high end so it doesn't interfere with the OH's and direct sounds as human brain uses high frequencies to locate a sound. (it also uses phase differences between the left and right but that's beside the point)

For me, it usually goes something like this:

OHs @ 4'
Mono Room @ 12'
Stereo Room @ ~18' (in the studio bathroom)

By combining the two mics, you can make the drums sound huge without the close and room mics sounding disconnected. The 12' mic "fills in" the time difference between the close/OH mics and the far room.

Thanks Dave!

What are your miking techniques on the 12' (X-Y, ORTF, A-B or NOS)?
Oh, wait... have you confused that? the mono and stereo? or really stereo bathroom?

We will record in 2 weeks our full length album, so I am happy about every advice :)

my practical experience are not the greatest...

(and sorry for my crappy english)

Personally I tend to do a stereo set of spaced omni condensers, as high and wide as i can get them, and a mono mic (could be anything really) down low to the floor, this tends to get smashed with the old 1176 all buttons in thing come mix time.

I tend to do room mics in a blumlein pair, so that I can collapse it to mono if I want without phase issues.