Nordstrom Room Sound

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Was listening to In Flames' 'Clayman' and Nightrage's 'Sweet Vengeance' and on the drum mix of both CDs, you can hear that same fat room sound.

I don't suppose any of you guys have any pointers on how to achieve a drum ambience sound like that? Spaced pair room mics? Mono room mic? XY room mics? Spaced pair and mono? Aimed where? Lots of compression? Lots of filtering? Notching out the prominent low-mids? Beefing it up with a plate verb?

I've only had a chance to try mono and XY pair drum mics in the past.. strangely the mono was the best, as it beefed up the snare a bit like the nordstrom recordings here.

I'm getting a bit sick of the sound of modern metal drum verb, and I really like when you can hear some fat room ambience gluing everything together, much as in good rock productions.

Listening to Sinister Mephisto now from AE...also a F. Nordstrom production...
And I was just thinking by myself.....WOW what a fat sound...
Where these drums by any change also tracked in his studio?!

Good song. :p

I believe they were all tracked at Fredman, but AE was several years before.

everything sounds good to me except his kickdrums. But his snares are really cool and natural sounding sometimes

Yeah, not a fan of his kicks, but his toms have always been some of the best, and the snare in Clayman has a natural vibe to it, but the room seems to add a lot of weight to it too.
I hear a lot of raving about Clayman and as awesome as it is I think Blackwater Park deserves a mention

Looking at some of the pics it seems like the room isn't THAT big...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZMPEme-bc[/youtube]
5.jpg

Looking at some of the pics it seems like the room isn't THAT big...
5.jpg

This is the new studio fredman...the old classics are not recorded here..
Anyway the new is very little room..you can see the new room in the dimmu borgir's bonus dvd.

Look at this pic...cabinet in the corner, little drum room...like the antfarms, good sounds are not related with room dimension, cab position, tractament and "big amount of money" ...