How to mix a snare..........?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
So...I've been experimenting.

Lately, I've realized that most people don't even put reverb on a snare drum. I was extremely surprised.

I hear that most people use room/ambience mics to get that really full snare sound. I understand that.

I use Superior drummer for drum replacement, typically. When I solo out just the snare track, it sounds like complete shit.. Mono, dry, and fake. It sounds like a sloppy va-j-j being slapped by a calloused hand.

So, usually I've just added compressors, and reverb to a snare, and used very minimal of the room mics on superior drummer.. I just don't think they sound that good... So, how do I NOT use reverb on a snare, and make it sound good?

My drums sound great when they're in a mix, but alone, the snare drum becomes quite annoying after a while, because of that fuckin' reverb on it.. Is there a program that creates a good ambience, or room sound for a snare drum? Do the ambience mics on SD suck that bad? Or am I waay overthinking it?

If you are using DFHS 2.0 then its your skills that are not good enough!!! The 2.0 snares (the whole drumkit) is the best sounding kits out there, and for sure the Ambience in 2.0 is fantastic. Ambience is one way to get a better "glued" overall sound for your drums, and reverb is definitely one. If you dont have access to a good sounding room you can apply 2 different reverbs on the snare. One real short (about 0.6s) this reverb works like an ambience room would. And then add a medium reverb (approx. 1.2s)

I can really recommend Redline Reverb, its superb.

And for the "annoying" reverb effect when you solo the drums.. THe mix itself eats up allot of the reverb effect so atleast I end up putting on a little bit more reverb when the whole mix is playing.

I hope i helped you a little bit / Cheers

also compressing the snare verb can help to get interistings results. just experiment .try diferent reverbs and see what you like better. and no snare verb is a no go for me...but well is always depending of the song.

somewhat off topic, how would I achieve a massive reverby snare? I tried a gating a massive reverb buss one time, but it didn't sound right... Sorry to hijack.

were you going for the 80's snare sound? try using the a reverse gated reverb. double trouble...

sounds to me like an emmure type snare from goodbye to the gallows, probably a long snare accompanied by a gated one