What do you guys use reverb for?

Are you guys talking about side-chaining a gate on the room mics for only snare hits and toms hits, or just blending in room to everything?

usually there's a sweet spot level wise where the room sound adds to the snare nicely but doesn't take away from the rest of the kit. especially if you're working with a mono room too much volume on that will cause the cymbals to loose definition.

if i can't seem to get to that sweet spot, an expander sidechained to the snare works just fine, just don't make it too obvious. it's like automating the room sound up for every snare hit

usually there's a sweet spot level wise where the room sound adds to the snare nicely but doesn't take away from the rest of the kit. especially if you're working with a mono room too much volume on that will cause the cymbals to loose definition.

if i can't seem to get to that sweet spot, an expander sidechained to the snare works just fine, just don't make it too obvious. it's like automating the room sound up for every snare hit

i tend to low pass the room down to 10k which means less interference with the cymbals and then be even more agressive than normal with high passing the OHs. Get's massive sounding mids with clear, defined cymbals