What do you guys use reverb for?

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
This is a thread for sharing what you guys use for drums.

Do you use reverb on your snare drum, or do you just use room mics.. Or both?

Do you use reverb on your kick? I know some people do.

I personally use a fast decay reverb for snare, and room mics. I also use a tad of room mic for kick drum.

To make stuff sound like its got reverb on it ....lol

I am sure you are meaning what in a mix would you put reverb on.....

For me the only things that get reverb are snare, toms, OHs, Vox, and Lead Guitar. All of my Rhythm parts, bass parts and kick are dry.

No, I'm not asking for tips really, just for people to share. I like the sharing threads since it's not really a thread prone to fighting.

Like I said, I use a short verb on snare and toms and that's it. And a ton of room mic for snare to really get the depth I like.:Shedevil::Shedevil::Shedevil:

I hate dry Rhythm guitars, so mine always have some verb on them...sounds more natural to me.
Vox, snare, toms & leadguitars also have verb...bass not, kick depends on the mix, some can use it, some not.

Usually a room, hall, or plate on the drums. The snare usually gets the most, followed by overheads, followed by toms, and followed by kick (next to none).

Lately a plate and room together on vocals. Used to use halls here in the past, but that became a bit too indicative of that cheap ITB metal thing to me, so I switched it around a bit and went for more of a radio rock approach. Halls still get use if its 'majestic' music, or we need a really long decay (PCM's Random Hall algorithm is gorgeous for this).

Everything else, as needed. Depends on song/band.

Reverb tip - If you put reverb on just one or two elements in a mix (for example vocals and snare) it will generally give the illusion that the entire mix occupies that space. Start with a couple elements and add more verb from there if necessary.

Usually a room, hall, or plate on the drums. The snare usually gets the most, followed by overheads, followed by toms, and followed by kick (next to none).

Lately a plate and room together on vocals. Used to use halls here in the past, but that became a bit too indicative of that cheap ITB metal thing to me, so I switched it around a bit and went for more of a radio rock approach. Halls still get use if its 'majestic' music, or we need a really long decay (PCM's Random Hall algorithm is gorgeous for this).

Everything else, as needed. Depends on song/band.

It is pretty much this for me.

Depends on the style and whether i had any room mics. In a perfect world i'd have the whole band track (seperately) in the same fantastic sounding room and spend a month finding the perfect positions for room mics, but generally verb finds it's way onto snare, toms, lead guitars, vocals. On softer stuff i often like verb on the master bus to really bring everything together like it's in the same room with the listener.

I use a different verb for drums/gutiars/vox
With the drums i have a set verb and adjust how much signal is sent to the verb and pan accordingly
Kick 10-15%
Snare 80-90%
Toms 90+%
OH 100%

I normally have a medium and a large room verb set for the vocals... every now and again i automate to drop the deep verb in on long growls

For guitars i add a small amount of verb for rhythms (depending on the style) and deeper verb for Lead/Tapping

This guy's take on things;

Adam D: "I usually leave guitars completely dry, unless it's a part that lends itself to reverb, like an overdub or a texture of some sort. All those staccato guitar riffs need to be tight as hell. You want to hear the stops go to complete silence, which gives the mix that dramatic effect of tightness. I do like the contrast of wet drums versus a tight band. Thats cool."

interesting to seem that so many of you send the OHs to a reverb bus. i've never done this tbh. i try to get some room ambience in the OHs by using the room mics.
whats the reasoning behind adding artificial reverb to OHs? i supposed it would cloud up the cymbals and made them washy sounding.

anways, i add reverb to toms, and vocals/lead guitar depending on the song. additional instruments only for special effect.
snare will always be a blend of room sound and artificial reverb. depends on the song, for a more produced feel the reverb will be louder than the room, for a natural feel vice versa. room mics are really a nice way to add body to a snare.

kick 0 reverb
snare, plate or room, depends on the song.
hats none
toms, used to send them to the snare verb but not any more. i use a longer verb for those, just a bit.
oh no verb at all...tbh never done it. will try
Room!! lots of good sounding room. no verb

vocals...used to send them to reverb, not anymore, now i send those to a delay and the delay to the verb. usually a room or a hall.

no reverb on distorted guitars...sometimes a bit of the vocal verb/delay for solos if it wasn't recorded already with efx to tape

tons of reverb on the master bus though...

...haha! got you!! J/K i bet you were like waaaah??:OMG:

Clean guitars, guitar solos, jazzy bass solos, ambient/atmospheric bass or guitar sections (think spacey prog rock stuff, not machine gun metal riffing), vocals, snare, toms... usually not on OHs... automate where necessary on the drums (lower verb for faster parts, higher verb for special effects, slower parts of the song, etc.)

Delays for all of that too, other than snare and toms of course (except maybe for a special effect part of the song or something).

Oh, and agreed on adding a little room for the snare & sometimes toms, but I almost always mix the artificial reverb higher than the room. The room is just compressed and blended in a little for some extra depth/meat.

Kick, only if it's an fx. Always on snare gets a plate verb, tons usually get the same verb as the snare, but less. A room verb for room (and sometimes a tiny bit of this same verb for the snare). Sometimes a bit of this room also for the OH, to make them softer if too agressive.

For the vocals, I use almost always delay + verb, but for songs with less elements, only verb can be used. Backing vocals get a shitload of room or hall reverb, depending on the arrangement.

Clean guitars also get their 'verb, and distorted only get some if needed or for an FX.

I always use a combination of delay and reverb for other elements, like horns, percussion, keys, strings..

I usually use up to 8~10 verbs on the same song, for different layers/tempos/fx. I also EQ verbs very differently depending on the song. LP/HP always, and maybe some compression or saturation on the verbs.