the REVERB thread

I personally like plate reverbs for drums. although you shouldn't stick to one formula.
you should spend some play time with every project. if something sounds right, it's right.

I also recommend gating you reverbs. it makes the sound much more snappy and allows you to use lots of different types & sizes without overdoing the reverbs.

i'm not using pro tools, otherwise d-verb would be the obvious one....i really dig the big man's work ;-)
i tried freeverb 2 which is supposedly similar to d-verb, but it always sounds really fake and cheap to me.
actually that's my main gripe with most reverbs, CHEAP sound. it's just not natural.
i'm still trying to figure out how andy gets his snare reverb to sound like that. it's pretty similar on most of his releases, yet i haven't found a plugin (or a way to dial it in) that resembles that sound.
i'd probably kill for an impulse of his reverb ^^

is it common to use a stereo fx track for reverb on drums in most mid tempo metal/rock stuff? I've always done this...

+ 1 on compressing the reverb busses sometimes work very well sometimes dont.. but it gives you certain controlled and washed sound that feels more natural ( at least for me)..

other thing to consider is using the reverbs to give some deep to some instruments in the mix. not to just make it apparent. for example:

if you have plenty of tracks that are not meant to be upfront you can make a buss whit a medium or long reverb and send a little of everything you think it needs to be in the background, this not only will give this tracks more live and deep in addition it will make the main instruments to seem huge.

there is no need for much reverb especially in modern metal productions. maybe just a tiny bit of room on drums/vocals/leads that´s it.
a basic rule of thumb would be: if you can really hear it chances are good you have too much reverb.

this is what's going to ruin metal production.

WE SHANT BE AFRAID TO DO OR TRY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

so please, all newbs, ignore this post.

Reverb I consider to still be my weak point. I have a few presets tweaked up which I don't deviate from too often. Just tweak it to suit the project, but nothing that ever blows my mind. I do a lot more of my tone chasing with room mics, compression and delay these days.

It's fairly fashionable not to saturate your recordings with verb these days, and I'm kinda on that bandwagon. Nothing says 'cheap' quite like a mix washed in hall verb. IMO it's much more effective to chase ambiance using clever thrown delays and verbs.

yeah i realy hate reverb.
I use them to recreate a room sound, not as an 80ties effect:)
reverbs make things sound distant and not straight to face...
so I normaly dont use that much reverb at all

The problem is saying 'do whatever you like' doesn't really help those still feeling their way in all this. The way I see it, its helpful to have some rough guidelines on what people generally find works well, and then once you've developed a certain amount of expertise you can go your own way a bit more. Just my perspective.

I mostly use D-verb, room 1 for drums and ambient or non-linear with a long predelay for aggressive vocals. I used to love Altiverb and my favorite was the cello studios chamber, but it's not worth the money or the cpu power it takes for me right now.

Also, I think reverb is hugely important in getting a mix to feel right, but it is easy to overuse when you're just starting out.

i think its easier to tell when reverb is wrong, if i can tell somethings not working ill keep tweaking untill it is. its kind of hard to describe but ill be able to tell what isnt working when listening and you kind of adjust from there.

from drums i tend to stick to plates, same with vocals unless im looking for something more kind of obvious/effect like. lead guitars/overdubs ill usually go for a hall or chamber or something depending on what im after.

impulses can be alright, but sometimes you feel the benefit of using something with modulation. i really dig redline reverbs 112db, very lexicon-esque vibe with way easier to understand parameters. the beta of the LX480 was fucking nice, but it needs to be finished to reap the full benefits.

so, for that sneap-style drum reverb, what kinda settings should i shoot for? (note: just approximations, i'm not looking for presets or anything, i'd just like to get a little insight how to get that sound). room/plate/hall? size? dampening? general eq curve?

as for modern metal = no reverb, well....listening to behemoth - shemhamforash, or arch enemy - taking back my soul i kinda doubt that, at least when it comes to drums. there seems to be a healthy dose of reverb on there (not 80s amounts of course).

another question: is anyone here usually running the vocals dry, with just some delay for added space? or are you *always* applying reverb in varying amounts to the vocals?