Whats your drum pan like?

Demonstealer

Jun 30, 2003
India
demonicresurrection.8m.com
I'm just curious to know how everyone pans their drums?

Like for example if I have the following tracks

Kick - center
Snare - center
Hi Hat - 50% left
ride - 50% left
tom 1 - 20% left
tom 2 - 10% right
tom 3 - 35% right
overheads - (stereo pre panned mixdown from Superior)
Ambience - center

This is not so much about if its drummers perspective or or audience. I'm more curious about how the toms and hats+ride get spread out by different people.

:)

somewhat wide
Picture3.png

Last thing I recorded; rough mixes-

Kick/D6- center
Snare/609- center
OH L/NT5- 50% L (Note: the Glyn Johns overhead setup was used. Thus the odd panning.)
OH R/NT5- 100% R
Rack Tom 1/57- 25% L
Rack Tom 2/57- center
Floor Tom 1/57- 25% R
Floor Tom 2/57- 50% R
Mono room/RSM-4, about 20' back- center

Doom metal, all live drums. No mics on the hats and ride, no massive panning of the toms across the stereo field.

I guess he has 2 mono recordings panned 100 hard R/L to make them fully stereo, which makes toms panned as was really recorded.

Correct greyskull ?

I guess he has 2 mono recordings panned 100 hard R/L to make them fully stereo, which makes toms panned as was really recorded.

Correct greyskull ?

Dunno, some albums, like the latest Disturbed, have the tom close-mics hardpanned. I think its just weird and distracting :/

If I've got hat/ride close mics, they'll be panned 100%, cos they're really not gonna be that loud anyway.

Toms depend on how many they are, but usually starting at 20-40L and going to 60-80R.

nope...
just hardpanned
i find that the ohs and room mics pull the toms hats and ride into the centre so i hard pan the close mics for a bit more spread

Depends but roughly:

Kick: C
Snare: C
HH: 100L
Tom1: 50L
Tom2: 20R
Floor: 70R
Ride: 100R
OH: 100 L/R

Oh L : 100% left
Oh R : 100% Right
Ride/china : 80 to 100% Right
tom 1: 60% left
tom 2: 30% left
tom 3: 30% right
tom 4: 60% right
kick/snare: center
Hihat :70% left

I pan the toms and any cymbal close mic's so that they match their position in the overhead image. So it depends on the kit and the overhead setup I used.

Everyone hard pan OH here?
I always pan 60 L/R max:loco:

Nein. I prefer Glyn Johns vs. spaced pair though, as I try to go for more natural sounding drums. You have to pan them oddly to get the imaging right, and even with the one mic hard-panned the overall spread of the kit is not as wide.