Which drum pan do you prefer? Audience or Drummer Perspective?

Our of curiosity what's your favorite panning for each type of drums? :) Panning cymbals and toms can vary.

Drummers perspective ...i cannot stand mixes with audience perpective . if some song i like has audience perspective i change the pan in my DAW.

Our of curiosity what's your favorite panning for each type of drums? :) Panning cymbals and toms can vary.

Real drums or midi?

If you have mics on each cymbal just align them to the image of your main stereo pair when panning them. Same goes for your toms.
Or maybe I misunderstood the question?

Real drums or midi?

If you have mics on each cymbal just align them to the image of your main stereo pair when panning them. Same goes for your toms.
Or maybe I misunderstood the question?

I meant midi, like Steven Slate drums. I leave the kick and snare right up the middle but put the cymbals to the side a bit you know, toms too. It can vary and every mix is different so I was just curious as to what people usually end up doing :)

Doesn't it sound weird to you when audience perspective drums are mixed so in your face?
For me it is:
In your face drums = drummers perspective
Drums with lots of room sound= audience perspective

It absolutely HAS to be drummer's perspective for me, as I'm very OCD about things going left to right, and that includes tom rolls :D

I go with drummer perspective micing.

A) Because I love to air-drum

B) because weird things going on with the stereo imaging make me actually feel physically uncomfortable. albums with hi-hats in the right speaker make me feel weird

interesting to see that most people seem to pan drummers perspective, yet on commercial releases it's audience perspective most of the time.

behemoth, some belphegor and the faceless are the only bands that i can name from the top off my head that frequently pan their drums drummer perspective....so i guess it's more common with more technical drummers?

You think Fragle? I dunno, I feel like most things I've heard are drummer's perspective, but admittedly I don't usually pay attention to the drums that much :D Still, when it is audience perspective, the backwards tom rolls and hi-hat on the right usually send up a red flag pretty quick...

well, fwiw most of andy's mixes are audience perspective, so is lotsa fredman stuff, so is lotsa tue madsen stuff...just to name a few. it might differ depending on what kinda music you're listening to, but to me it seems as if the majority of commercial releases indeed are panned audience perspective

Oh yeah, you're right, listening to "My Apocalypse" the hi-hat is indeed in the right - oh well, guess it doesn't bother me as much as I thought, but I still prefer drummer's :D And that could be the most beautifully defined and full-sounding hi-hat I've ever heard, btw, it never ceases to amaze me :headbang:

You think Fragle? I dunno, I feel like most things I've heard are drummer's perspective, but admittedly I don't usually pay attention to the drums that much :D Still, when it is audience perspective, the backwards tom rolls and hi-hat on the right usually send up a red flag pretty quick...

I remember Andy saying he prefers audience.