How the hell do i pan this?

jsayers169

The Wizard
Oct 25, 2007
Hackney, London.
The producer we used only used 1 mic to cover my 2 rack toms, 1 mic to cover my floor tom, 1 mic on my snare, 2 mics on my 1 kick drum, 2 overheads and 1 mic over my hi-hat.

Any idea's how you would pan this one out it is killing me lol.

Manually split the toms apart,trigger them all, and then pan them like normal? Did he only have 8 ins or what, if so, I wouldn't go there next time to track drums.

Hey

I'm actually going through this exact problem at the moment. In the process of remixing our 1st cd and the drums had the same thing happening. Its a pain in the ass but what I've been doing is this (in PT):

like HexTheNet said - manually going to the tom tracks and splitting them. He had actually had 2 mics, one for each rack tom but I guess due to limited inputs, he bussed the 2 mics to one stereo track. So I've had to go in, find each tom fill and listen over and over until I understand what the hell the drummer was playing and then actually cut each hit out and put on a seperate track for each tom. After I have done this, I've had to completely replace the hits with samples because I have no clean hits of the drums (our 1st time in the studio and "engineer" was the word for god in our minds). Drumagog or Aptrigga should do the trick nicely for this. Bounce into new tracks and there ya go ... seperate, clean toms.

next, as is my habit for now, I have been adding a 2nd snare track with a different sound (sample) and blending to taste.

so that leaves me with:

2 overhead tracks
2 snare tracks
1 kick
hats
3 tom tracks
1 ride or room track

my habit for panning:

Kick - center
both Snares - 5% right or left (drum or audience perspective)
hats - 10% right or left
rack1 - 30% " " " "
rack 2 - center
floor - 60% " " " "
overheads - 100% left and right

if there is some really cool ride work going on, I'll place it about 50% where the Floor tom is
room mic would be centered probably, but I don't really use those much, usually rely on the OHs, main snare, hates for my overall kit ambience

hope something in this rant is useful

Cheers!

www.myspace.com/shadowdancemusic

I have 10 mic preamps and it usually goes like this:

Either 2 on the kick or if it's a 6 piece like my friends then the inside kick mic goes on the extra floor tom
2 snare
3 toms (unless there are 4)
2 overheads.

9 inputs. The extra is for scratch vocals and guitar. I want another interface though, I want more inputs.