Producer Machine: Eighteen Visions

hang on a sec guys,...Andy does METAL (very very well),But that's all!! So hence a 'One trick pony'. Machine just dosen't do metal.

Re: 'one inch tool' - Nice comment mister murphy

6091037a844a_main200.jpg

Sneap & Pharrell

in fairness though, thats just a personal choice, sticking to one type of music, of which there are plenty of genres. Going from something like Masterplan to Kreator is enough of a jump for me. I'd love to do some more straight up rock stuff, its easy to do that kinda stuff and enjoyable because of the space.

So what's the idea behind doing cymbals seperate? I don't understand why people are so afraid of cymbal bleed. Half the time after you've sample replaced the kick and maybe blended a snare sample for consistency, the drum mix tends to sound plenty sterile and seperated. Any more and you may as well just go with DFHS from the start.

Andy Sneap said:
Didn't slayer do this trick of cymbals separate on Hell Awaits or another early album?

now that's interesting, although reign in blood is the only early slayer record that does anything for me production wise. as a matter of fact, the production of hell awaits totally ruins the listening experience for me, to the point that i'm digging up live records if i want to get some old slayer pumpin.....

speaking of 80s thrash records, i think it's amazing that bands like slayer didn't have a halfway decent kick drum sound until well into the 90s. the kick is just sooo buried in the mix (seriously, can you hear the kick on reign in blood?!), in contrast to early testament records which usually suffered from a really bad case of clicky "fake" kick drum, especially practice what you preach :rolleyes: tonal opposites, really....

Fragle said:
speaking of 80s thrash records, i think it's amazing that bands like slayer didn't have a halfway decent kick drum sound until well into the 90s. the kick is just sooo buried in the mix (seriously, can you hear the kick on reign in blood?!), in contrast to early testament records which usually suffered from a really bad case of clicky "fake" kick drum, especially practice what you preach :rolleyes: tonal opposites, really....

Cause Slayer had always a natural sound, no triggers, no consistency.
And second thing the producers (besides the great work on Reign in blood) were really not that good!

kaomao said:
And second thing the producers (besides the great work on Reign in blood) were really not that good!
:zombie:
Rubin and Wallace?????!!!! :OMG: You may like Rubin's work or not but Andy Wallace...?

I've never really been a fan of Rubin's work...there hasn't been a single album I've heard that he produced where I thought...Damn! That's a great sounding album! Who produced that! So I'm kind of dreading what Metallica will sound like NOW...

Usually I hear it and think, that sounds like crap...did Rick do that? Or was it Kevin Elson?:loco:

And for me, those 18 Visions songs sounded like they'd be pretty cool...up until the vocal part and the gay vocals.:ill:

I don't like the sound of a lot of Rubin's productions... but the performances he gets are always outstanding.

There seems to be so much emphasis on sonics, that people forget that the most important role of the producer (IMO) is to get great PERFORMANCES. A great performance will transcend sub-standard sonics (not the Rubin's sonics are sub-standard, just not what *I* would do). The best mixer in the world can't make a crap performance into a good song.

I'm not a huge Rubin fan myself but Andy Wallace was the engineer and he's like a god to me.

It's realy difficult to compare Machine to Andy. To me, Andy is THE #1 producer for metal. Machine certainly is not tops in any style specifically and can do many styles well. I am not sure what is better, master of one style or good at many. I have worked with Machine in the past and he is a great guy and I have no doubt that he respects Andy's work.

I think the Trouble CD has amazing prouction for its time, I am sure that was produced by Rubin...

Also, I read the cymbal thing about "Hell Awaits" in an article with gene Hoglan who was Lombardo's tech at the time.

I've never really been a fan of Rubin's work...there hasn't been a single album I've heard that he produced where I thought...Damn! That's a great sounding album! Who produced that! So I'm kind of dreading what Metallica will sound like NOW...

well, slayer's latest entitled god hates us all was a decent sounding record. i liked the drums - especially the fact that you can hear the kick :lol: - and the guitars were fine, too. sounded modern without giving up the slayer midrange honk.
of course, that doesn't help with the not-so-great music on that record :(

mh...check this out....quote slayersaves.com

"Matt Hyde - Producer, Engineer, Mixing | Rick Rubin - Executive Producer | Eddy Schreyer - Mastering | Sean Beavan - Mixing "

ConspiracyBass said:
I was gonna say. I don't think Rubin actually engineered any cd he's produced.

This is true. I hear Rubin has no idea what to do in the eingineering depertament. He just works with the musicians. If anyone wants to see how he works the RHCP DVD Funky Monks. (I think that's that title...) shows them recording Blood Sugar Sex Magic with him. It's cool if you like the Chili Peppers and it's interesting to see how they did the CD. Pretty cool I think.