Bands are stupid (like you didn't know)

zackpennington

Like a boss
Aug 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
www.myspace.com
How do you guys do your pricing? I've been trying to do a decent per song rate because I want my projects to turn out the way I want them, even if it means putting in extra work. I've been messaging bands with my ridiculously good deal of a rate, and they've been responding that they're recording at these shitty places that charge way more per day/hour/session, but they think that I'm too expensive? Should I just charge hourly/daily and when a band runs out of money, say, "Oh well?!" I don't think they realize you can't get quality results if you're trying to record 6 songs in 12 hours, especially if you're not tight (which none of them are).

Fuck me, /rant.

especially if you're not tight

(which none of them are).

Fuck me

Wtf dude!? Maybe that's why bands prefer other studios!? :p:p

Seriously, musicians often see the full price and freak out. But clearly, not all people pick a studio at random!

Some of them are interested in spending less money for a less polished but less expensive result
(6 songs in 12 hours is a bargain for some bands, even if the quality is sh*t, that's life!)

I've never gotten a band to agree to any sort of rate time-rate. We always just agree to some total payment they're going to give me. I don't understand it at all.

You should market hourly rates because you could either say

1. I am $x per hour.

or...

2. It depends on x, y, and z.

The first way, they can feel somewhat secure because they can ballpark guess the price range. The second one, they will probably just look for another studio who can be more specific and not want to go through the hassle of asking.

I do hourly for tracking and a set price for editing/mix/master for each song. There is always a certain price they know from the start, the e/m/m set price X however many songs they want to do. Then for tracking it's up to them, how long it takes them and what their budget is. If they can't afford it, and I really want the project, I sometimes try to negotiate something they can work with. Usually involves a single price for the whole project, and less money for me, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

honestly I have not had a band haggle with me over rates in a while now.

I charge a flat daily rate and no one argues it.

(and back when they used to, I would link them to other studios in the state that put out complete shit for a higher price and would say sorry I cant help you but maybe these studios can and then they usually would agree to my prices :p )

honestly I have not had a band haggle with me over rates in a while now.

I charge a flat daily rate and no one argues it.

(and back when they used to, I would link them to other studios in the state that put out complete shit for a higher price and would say sorry I cant help you but maybe these studios can and then they usually would agree to my prices :p )
Can you show us some of these studios ? This is such a good idea :lol:

Maybe it's because they've been working their shitty burger flipping jobs, saving up all the spare cash they have... and so want to know exactly how much the sessions are going to cost them, so they can do some basic calculations and see if they have enough. They don't want to get burned and owe money that they don't have.

I do hourly for tracking and a set price for editing/mix/master for each song. There is always a certain price they know from the start, the e/m/m set price X however many songs they want to do. Then for tracking it's up to them, how long it takes them and what their budget is. If they can't afford it, and I really want the project, I sometimes try to negotiate something they can work with. Usually involves a single price for the whole project, and less money for me, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

this. exactly the way i'm working too.

now, more interesting question: what are your actual rates?

I work by /day rates. It is hard to predict how long time the band will take tracking, editing etc. 50% of the bands had to go over time, and they had no problems paying for an extra day. But make the rulez before the bands enter so you don't just throw it at them "this will cost you more". Be professional :)

I do hourly for tracking and a set price for editing/mix/master for each song

+1 on that

i find that you really need to charge people hourly to track - this ensures that they get their shit together before the session, knowing that having to do 9,000 takes is going to cost them a lot more. if a band asks you about why you do that, put a positive spin on it, and tell them it's so that they can save $$$ if they nail shit the first couple of times through! :headbang:

I still think you should switch from hourly rates to day rates atleast if you are gonna do like +4 song with the band. Hour rates is great if you have rented out your studio for some tracking etc.

DO daily rates, that way they know exactly how much they'll be spending and save accordingly.

Its always the case that you have one dude in the band who has no girlfriend and sinks every cent into gear and music - he usually has really nice gear and isn't afraid of spending some cash to get good results (even if he can't play worth a shit). Then you have another dude who's girl has him pussy whipped so he never has any cash, then you have another dude who'd rather spend money on beer and weed, and then another dude who was lobotomized somewhere along the way and can't make decisions on his own, etc. etc.

Charge per day. :)

How do you guys do your pricing? I've been trying to do a decent per song rate because I want my projects to turn out the way I want them, even if it means putting in extra work. I've been messaging bands with my ridiculously good deal of a rate, and they've been responding that they're recording at these shitty places that charge way more per day/hour/session, but they think that I'm too expensive? Should I just charge hourly/daily and when a band runs out of money, say, "Oh well?!" I don't think they realize you can't get quality results if you're trying to record 6 songs in 12 hours, especially if you're not tight (which none of them are).

Fuck me, /rant.

Do you have an actual studio, or is this a mobile or home setup? That may affect how a band perceives you and/or your rate.

I've always worked out all the details for a band and give them scenarios for hourly vs. flat rate and they always go flat rate.

Now, I track in a real studio and mix at home so they get the day rate for the studio and then fixed rate for mixing the project.

If a band ever talks about my rate being too high or anything I tell them that they may need to go elsewhere, but I don't do this to make my living so I've turned down waaaay more bands than I've actually recorded.

tracking on an hourly basis means endless editing (that no one will pay you for, but they expect everything to sound perfect)

so i personally like to take time to record. i only wanna put out quality recordings, i guess i couldnt do that if i tracked on an hourly basis.

working with pro musicians though is totally different. but your average metalcore band wont be able to deliver what is needed for a clean
production.

so take your time with tracking. still sounds 1000% better than editing the shit out of the performances + will in the end be the faster way and save $$$ (or in my case €€€)