how to deal with crap drummers?

i learned really fucking fast to not ever record anything without a click, unless it's some sort of singer/songwriter acoustic shit or something. when it comes to any sort of rock/metal though, dudes have no business playing drums if they can't play to a click.

Now if I'm recording a rock song, it's click or no go, but a metal song with tons of parts and tempo changes, I haven't found it that important.

:zombie:o_O

I hope you mean the other way around...

Working out clicks/guide tracks in a separate pre-production session is totally helpful. Do this a few weeks before recording and send the files to the drummer to practice to and he'll have no excuses when it comes time to track the songs.

Having said that, there's no reason you can't record without a click if the band is tight enough.

Working out clicks/guide tracks in a separate pre-production session is totally helpful.
+100

I "tap-tempo'd" all my bands songs when we were trying to record a full album. Drummer and I went over the clicks many, many times. We both agreed that everything seemed good.

We went over the click tracks about 7-8 times before finally committing.

That album shit the bed and now we are using the same click tracks to work on a small demo with a new lineup, and we're STILL changing BPMs here and there. Gah!!!

:zombie:o_O

I hope you mean the other way around...

Nope.

Not trolling either.

I just feel the nickleback / daughtry type stuff has to be more consistent than metal. I know im in the minority and im ok with that. Maybe it's cuz modern rock music doesn't speak to me so i don't care if it's lifeless. Maybe im just doing things wrong (probably).

Im also in no position to turn down work....I envy anyone who can. I record a lot of young bands where a click would kill the session so i've found my work a rounds.

Here is a link to a song from the last session i did...no click.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2159572/1.wav

Best of luck to everyone.