How do you guys record bands?

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
In what order do you usually record a metal band? Do you record drums first? Do you have all the guys play together but only record the drums with the rest being scratch tracks then go back and record the guitars,bass,etc?. Just wondering how you guys do it. In a project I am working on, I recorded the rhythm guitars first (with a click of course), then did scratch tracks for the rest so the drummer could record along with it (again with a click track). Does anyone else do it this way? Ideally i'd like to record the whole band at once but only the drums going to the master then record the other instruments after to the drums.

Typical rundown for me:

-Guitarist and drummer present for click track mapping, this is also when I record the scratch guitars for the drummer to track to. If possible, try to get stereo scratch guitars, possibly even bass, the more you have the better for the drummer to record to IME.
-Record the drums.
-Edit the drums.
-Record the guitars.
-Edit the guitars.
-Record the bass.
-Edit the bass.
-Record the vocals.
-Edit vocals, including any tuning issues if present.
-Final mix (usually I am mixing throughout the entire process as we go through the tracking stages).

When I say "edit" it could be anything from just getting rid of any extra noises, etc. that you don't want, all the way to fixing the timing. Depends on how well they played their parts.

Typical rundown for me:

-Guitarist and drummer present for click track mapping, this is also when I record the scratch guitars for the drummer to track to. If possible, try to get stereo scratch guitars, possibly even bass, the more you have the better for the drummer to record to IME.
-Record the drums.
-Edit the drums.
-Record the guitars.
-Edit the guitars.
-Record the bass.
-Edit the bass.
-Record the vocals.
-Final mix (usually I am mixing throughout the entire process as we go through the tracking stages).

When I say "edit" it could be anything from just getting rid of any extra noises, etc. that you don't want, all the way to fixing the timing. Depends on how well they played their parts.

+1 identical to this for me :)

Typical rundown for me:

-Record the drums.
-Edit the drums.
-Record the guitars.
-Edit the guitars.
-Record the bass.
-Edit the bass.
-Record the vocals.

Same here.

essentially the exact same as above but after drums id do bass guitars, so that the bass player really locks on with the kick drum, so that the low end sounds solid before anything else goes on, then guitars etc

I usually as well record the guitars before the bass. Reason is, that I find it way easier to spot mistakes in the bass line (plays different notes than the guitars).

Typical rundown for me:

-Record the drums.
-Edit the drums.
-Record the guitars.
-Edit the guitars.
-Record the bass.
-Edit the bass.
-Record the vocals.

I had a question. so the scratch can be full of mistakes. It is just there so that for the drummer's convenience and the scratch tracks are deleted as soon as the drum tracking is done ,Right? What if i use amp simulations and let the guitarist play(not double tracking it for now) then let the drummer do his job and then record another guitar(Double tracking)

I had a question. so the scratch can be full of mistakes. It is just there so that for the drummer's convenience and the scratch tracks are deleted as soon as the drum tracking is done ,Right? What if i use amp simulations and let the guitarist play(not double tracking it for now) then let the drummer do his job and then record another guitar(Double tracking)

I prefer to have scratch guitars without mistakes, as they can throw the drummer off during tracking. If it's difficult for the guitarist to play sometimes I will have them play a simplified version of the riff if they need to.

As far as single or double tracked, I have done both before and single is fine. Like I said, the more you have the better it is for the drummer to track to, but double tracking the guitars isn't always necessary, just nice to have if you can do it.

I just wrote this in another thread. If we're talking metal, lately l've been recording rhythm guitars to a click FIRST, then drums, then bass gtr, etc. because then the editing process is easier and its result comes out as more natural ('cause for ex. when editing drums I'm always referencing recorded guitars to a click, not just plain edit them to grid).
So, I usually track the most tight player in the band first (but it's always drums or gtr), and only then other guys.

However, sometimes, when because of the circumstances I end up tracking the drummer first even tho he's not the tightest of the bunch, I ALWAYS make tight edit scratch gtrs first (and I mean TIGHT, which involves editing DI before it comes through an amp simulator).
So, drummer HAS TO HAVE tight guitars in his headphones one way or another.

Another tip: depends on a drummer involved, but I find myself mostly these days to record drum fills on toms as separate punches, because most of the time drummers play them like pussies, which result in something which sounds more like low end ruble and less like a concrete tom hit.
So, I employ the Lars' approach (used on AJFA recording) here: make the drummer play them with FULL FORCE as separate punches (and not as a part of a bigger drum pattern take), which he should be able to do, if he has any stamina.