guide guitars

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
just wondering....do you usually have the guitar player pre-record a scratch track to the click, and let the drummer record to that, or do you let them play along to the click at the same time (while only recording the drummer).

I've done both. Personal preference, really.

If you track a guide guitar to a click, make sure its TIGHT....even though it's only a guide track, if it's off even by a little bit it will usually screw the drummer up. I find this to be overall easier to set up and more consistent.

Also done both, usually go with the play along route for convience sake. Takes less time and the bands are usually on a tight time/money budget. It's also handy for getting the "feel" right. When the persons tracking along they can tell if its not quite the right feel whereas tracking drums along with the scratch guits sometimes it can be hard to tell if its a little out feelwise till its too late.

I'd always choose pre-recorded guitars. They are far tighter and you get to discuss the tempo with the band. Also, all kinds of problems show up that the band is generally not aware of because they've only played the song and never recorded it and it's a good time to fix such problems so you don't have to deal with them during drum tracking or further on.

depends...
Often; play along ONCE with the drummer and if the take won't throw thw drummer then just keep that and turn the guitar more or less off in the CR so i can concentrate on what the drums are doing.
If it's really tech; I'll probably pre record the guitar.

Scratch Guitars are a must, it helps you know what tempos the guitarist can actually play the song in question at and be clean about it..