Drum programming tips for non-drummers?

big thumbs-up to you, sir!

even though the MIDI layout in DFHS and EZD DKFH are totally different, i can still get the general jist of what's up...

Can anyone have some tips about creating crescendo on ride in DFHS?

I've tried doing it with constantly changing velocities with 1/16 and 1/32 notes, but it's more like a machine gun clicking than anything else. The "crescendo" sample isn't good for me, because I want to make it to start at a higher volume, then going down, and then going up again at the end and it's need to stop at a certain point.

man, i've spent probably 2 hours over the last few days trying to program a believable cymbal crescendo in ezdrummer...and every attempt so far has been utter failure

even when i get something that sounds close to believable, there's still too much stick attack in the individual hits

man, i've spent probably 2 hours over the last few days trying to program a believable cymbal crescendo in ezdrummer...and every attempt so far has been utter failure

even when i get something that sounds close to believable, there's still too much stick attack in the individual hits

In DFHS there are only a few cymbals that will sound convincing with a crescendo. It's been a while since I tried it, but I think using the mallets instead of drumsticks might sound better.....but then again - you're talking EZDrummer not DFHS, so I don't know if that helps at all.

That's one of the weak points of Superior for sure, I hope it's better in S2.0.

@ Metalhead28 Excellent work!.:kickass: By your example I'm slowly grasping the theory behind this. Dare I ask? If you could cook up a beat similar to Deftones, Passenger from White Pony. Not the whole song of course, only like the intro drum part and maybe the break. I need to understand the relationship between the instruments and drum patterns in this style. In other words the timing. With a real drummer this is not to hard at all..... I am grateful for what you have contributed here and in the Home Recording forums. (that is you right?)

In any case, Thank You.
:worship:

if you really want to get down the "feel" of a specific song, load the track into your DAW, then listen to the song and program the hits in as they occur. it shouldn't be all too hard with a slower tune like passenger.