Drum programming - what's the secret?

Well...the Drum Editor is a lot better since it's specifically for...drums.

~006

:lol:

Well, I figured that. What I don't see is ANY real difference to the midi editor in Cubase, other than the diamond shaped dots instead of square ... and the fact that the drum is named on the left (which I don't need since I know all the positions of DFHS by heart) ... so no win for the drum editor for me ...

comming from someone who has programmed like 100 songs out in midi with a drummer, cubase drum editor is the shit and youre just complicating things trying to use a keyboard or some bs

In Cubase you can easily humanize the programmed drum with quantize, so you don't have to pull some notes by hand. In the quantize setup window there is the non quantize - random quantize thing, juat play with the parameters and see how it goes. And there are some "logical presets" in the midi menu, where you can make little scripts to do things for you, there is already one script to make random velocities between 2 values, you can copy that script and make changes to suit your needs.

Our band's drummer doing the drum programming sometimes, and he asked me to make it more human like, and I've done this random thing and sent him the result. Then he said, that even he can play better than the programmed drum, so I should use less "humanization" :)

How many bowls does this usually take? I just smoked 17 and I still don't have tunnel vision! I've lost any motivation I previously had to program drums though so I guess it doesn't matter anyways...

2, maybe 3?

i dunno, although i typically consider to be a bullshit disease/diagnosis, i think i might have ADD or something, because i typically can't concentrate on anything long enough to actually make any progress unless i get high first. then i'm able to lock in and plug away like a madman.

you should consider your situation. this would make me very ruminative of my life in general
I don'T wanna be moral, I was once in similar situation

believe me, i've done a lot of considering...but when it comes down to it, it's something that's always plagued me, even since childhood

i could never get my schoolwork done because i couldn't concentrate on it long enough. i fully well understood the material, and always did well on tests, but i just could never be bothered to sit down and get it done. same thing with chores - i could never focus long enough to get my room cleaned, or any silly shit like that...i'd always start toying around with something else when i was 1/2 way through it.

now the same thing goes with music...i have a bunch of songs here that are probably 90% finished, but unless i'm stoned, my mind wanders around too much to finish them. i really wish i could find another way than smoking weed to channel my motivations, but i'd much rather turn to the green than a pill bottle.

well I'm no psychologist. and you can do whatever like to, imho. just wanted to tell you that stopping helped me a lot. after considering my post was quite stupid, so never mind!

i rarely do smoke anymore, and when i do, it just reminds me of why i like to in the 1st place

o_O

to quote Dave Chappelle "Samson Gets Me Lifted!"

but seriously, I'm not one to get "lifted", but if I did, I could only imagine it would make me want to experiment with metric modulation and polytonality.:headbang:

2, maybe 3?

i dunno, although i typically consider to be a bullshit disease/diagnosis, i think i might have ADD or something, because i typically can't concentrate on anything long enough to actually make any progress unless i get high first. then i'm able to lock in and plug away like a madman.

+1 :lol:

hahahaha @ the samson reference! good 1 remo

On the flipside, i can not imagine programing drums with pads/keyboard. Maybe for hiphop, or some rock stuff... but metal ? just give me the damn grid, a mouse, and i'll program them like a mothafucka

On the flipside, i can not imagine programing drums with pads/keyboard. Maybe for hiphop, or some rock stuff... but metal ? just give me the damn grid, a mouse, and i'll program them like a mothafucka

I use a combination of techniques. if i can, i'll tap it out on midi drum pads. for uber-metal i'll program the fast kicks and then tap in the hihats and cymbals, sometimes the snares too. and if i need a rigid lock-step House beat i'll just program it 100% on the grid. best of all worlds :)

believe me, i've done a lot of considering...but when it comes down to it, it's something that's always plagued me, even since childhood

i could never get my schoolwork done because i couldn't concentrate on it long enough. i fully well understood the material, and always did well on tests, but i just could never be bothered to sit down and get it done. same thing with chores - i could never focus long enough to get my room cleaned, or any silly shit like that...i'd always start toying around with something else when i was 1/2 way through it.

now the same thing goes with music...i have a bunch of songs here that are probably 90% finished, but unless i'm stoned, my mind wanders around too much to finish them. i really wish i could find another way than smoking weed to channel my motivations, but i'd much rather turn to the green than a pill bottle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_Deficit_Syndrome

And yes, I'm serious. I've worked with people who had it.

My personnal way of programming drums is using guitar pro. I'm used to it cause I write music with a friend that is distant, so guitar pro is a good way to write partitions of our music. And as far as you know all the midi notes of the drum sounds, you can program very quickly with only your keyboard and no mouse. I personnaly felt better than with a mouse and cubase midi roll.

Then you simply export your song in midi file. And it works for bass and keys too, because we write the whole songs this way, as long as keys don't need too much human touch (as, for example, solos or piano parts).

I personnaly tried to work with my keyboard, but I just loose too much time this way in comparison to my guitar pro method. The fact that in guitar pro the rythm is written and vision is a plus.

If I had the cubase score, I would consider trying editing drums there, but I've read that it sucks.