CD Review: Devin Townsend - Terria

OdinsCourt

Valhalla
Sep 26, 2003
MD, USA
www.odinscourtband.com
Matt’s CD Recommendation #1: Devin Townsend

I love music to death. So, I think I’ll start sharing my favorite albums as recommendations with brief reviews on a somewhat regular basis. Hopefully this will spark discussion, and also encourage people to try out albums they may not have heard before.

I tend to prefer music that is best as a whole album. Most of my favorite albums seem to flow from one song to the next non-stop, or have such a cohesive feel that you feel the need to listen to it as a complete work rather than as songs. Today’s pick fits this mold to a "T". I am speaking of Devin Townsend’s Terria. I must say, this album is pure magic. This review is written after hundreds of listens. I’ll post my "one listen" review later (which I wrote up and saved after, you guessed it, one listen when I first got this CD a long time ago). Hopefully this will show people the wonder of music that "grows" on you. ;)

Many people remember Devin as a virtuoso vocalist who sang on a Steve Vai album at only 17 years old. With Terria, you can see how that one exposure is so limiting of Devin’s vast talent. His talent as a guitarist, songwriter, and producer are equally impressive. As a note, besides listening to this from start to finish in one sitting, I recommend listening with some nice headphones, and then through a nice stereo at a loud volume. :D

Track 1 sets up a great mood for what’s to come. "Olives" puts out both a soothing and tense feel at the same time. It works well for keeping the listener locked in to see where this is going while building the atmosphere with spoken word, keyboards, sound effects, and guitar that has tone to die for. I remember thinking "blah" about this the first time I heard it, but now I can't imagine the album without it.

Next, we get hit full force. "Mountain" screams power and tension. The changing meter (and mostly odd time in 7) helps keep the feeling going. Right up front, you get Devin showing off his killer vocal tone, with melody to match. At about the perfect time, the song shifts to common time and has a much more fluid feel. Here we have some nice building and feeling. After giving us sufficient “feel good” music, we’re back into the tension.

This song bleeds into the next song, which is a piece that fans and non-fans of Devin alike typically label his "best": "Earth Day". Here we have Devin showing us what he does best – mixing power clean vocals with angry growls, as well as layer upon layer of instrumentation, with strong rhythm, melody, and harmony. The ambience of this song is simply incredible. This song takes you on a whirlwind of emotions and sounds. Words truly can’t describe this journey.

While "Earth Day" shows off Devin’s ability to write an incredible song without the use of guitar solos, "Deep Peace" shows his ability to write an incredible song with not only guitar solos, but solos that run the gambit of speed and emotions. He shreds, he feels, he shows off, he lays low, etc. Anyone who thinks of Devin as only a "singer" must here this. This song is more than a guitar solo though, as it has the feel of something Pink Floyd would do. The passion he pours into this song is amazing. The acoustic guitar coupled with the interesting keyboards really set the stage for his great vocal melodies and harmonies.

Ever wonder what Prog/Metal would sound like with a country feel (aside from Pride & Glory ;)), well here is your answer: "Canada". The intro riff is so catchy, you’ll be humming it for days while stomping your foot. Also, the vocals are so incredible, that you’ll find yourself listening intently for what happens next. An interesting note, this song (like many others on this album) has words that aren’t in the booklet. For some reason they are different from each other. My favorite non-printed lyric is “Only the lonely, and maybe John Denver knows, the Canadian freeway.”

"Down and Under" is 100% connected to "Canada". The only thing separating them is a track marker. This piece shows some great instrumental work. The acoustic guitar, buildups, and feel really show that a rock instrumental doesn’t always have to sound like "Far Beyond the Sun", "Cliffs of Dover", or "Flying in a Blue Dream" to keep your attention.

If you’re a Prog Metalhead, then you want your odd meters, constant time changes, and complex rhythms. Here is your answer: "The Fluke". The song starts out in common time and is very captivating. However, about half way through the song, the band goes nuts. Talk about some tight, interesting, constantly shifting playing! Then the real fun starts. There are so many layers upon layers of vocals and keyboards, that you are swimming in a sea of ambience. Pure beauty! Then we’re back to the beginning sections and out.

"Nobody Here" is another heavily Pink Floyd influenced song. There is some great vocal magic here. Again, the harmonies are killer. And the emotions that Devin is able to pour out through your speakers is haunting. How does he do it? You can really feel what he must have been feeling when he wrote this, and what is more powerful than an artist who can manage this feat?

Nearing the end of the album, we come to "Tiny Tears". The intro is different, but something that grows on you to a point where you can’t think of it any other way. And it builds the song such that I wouldn’t change a thing. The most memorable portion of this song is about halfway through or so. We get to a point where the drums, keys, and bass lay down a nice, slow groove. The Devin breaks into a heartfelt guitar solo. Right when you think it couldn’t pull at your feelings anymore, the vocal section starts. Each go around, a new layer comes in, each just as brilliant as the previous. Devin has a way (much like David Gilmour with guitar solos) of knowing just where to place each note, what tone to use, etc. This vocal section displays this perfectly.

Now we’re at the last track. We’ve been on a rollercoaster of emotions, including several slower and more "down" songs at the end. No matter, Devin wants to take you home in a happy way. Have you ever heard Major Key metal that wasn’t silly? Well here you go! Major key rock, with a feel good happy vibe, that makes you smile and say, “Heck yeah! Today is a great day!” and not find it cheesy. I’ve noticed that many times, in all art forms, the artist will magically build things up and take you all over the spectrum of feelings, but the ending just doesn’t do justice to the whole body of work. Here is the antithesis of that – Devin brings one of the best albums I’ve ever heard to a close in a way that most can only dream of.

So, I would recommend this album to anyone – whether a fan of heavy metal, prog, rock, new age, or anything else. Devin blends all the "best" aspects of different genres together in a way only he (and few others) know how. The production on this album is near the top of all rock albums made, and I place it behind only one great mind/band: Waters and Pink Floyd. If you do decide to purchase this album, try and get a hold of the special edition 2 disc set. The second CD contains bonus tracks, as well as video footage of Devin in concert. I personally have 2 copies of this CD, the Special Edition and another edition with a different bonus song.

10 out of 10

And as promised, here is my review I wrote after my 1st listen:

After having numerous people tell me how brilliant Terria is, I special ordered it to check it out. It finally came in a couple days ago, and here is my initial impression. I didn't know what to expect, but I must admit that this isn't quite how I imagined it would be. Not that this is bad. Anyway, here is my "review". Keep in mind, this is only with one listen...

The art inside the booklet was eerie. Very strange, yet intriguing. I liked how the pictures blended the earth and the human body. The packaging is definitely cool - you can tell a lot of thought went into this.

The overall sound was like an odd combination of Fear Factory and Pink Floyd with a lot of uniqueness thrown in. The Floyd influence is very evident to me. Anyone else hear it?

The vocals were cool. I really liked the clean vocals, and the harmonies/backing vocals were beautiful. The harsh vocals were cool too - they reminded me of Fear Factory. In other words, they weren't total death vox, but they were harsher than thrash metal vox. The lyrics were inventive at times, surreal sometimes, and just plain weird other times. Though I think that was the idea.

I really like the drum sound. The kick is really out there, and sounds great. The drums fit the music well and were solid. Couldn't ask for much more than that. The bass was solid as well. Locked in with the kick drum. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary here either.

They keys added some nice atmosphere. The patches were all great too. I think the keys really elevated the overall sound and dynamics of most everything.

I don't know why, but I expected the guitar to be more impressive on the surface. I guess I expected more prog metal and shredding type playing, but what I got was more like a David Gilmour vibe. Which I actually prefer. I would have liked more solos, but what was there was definitely quality playing.

Initial thoughts for each song:

"Olives" - At first, I didn't care for it. By the end, I warmed up to it a little. Obviously this is just an intro to the whole album and not meant to stand on it's own.

"Mountain" - Cool song. Hard to describe. Again, I'm not sure if this could stand on it's own. The middle part was more of a "song" to me, while the beginning and end were more like snippets of something larger.

"Earth Day" - Very cool song. I think I enjoyed the 1st half better than the 2nd half overall.

"Deep Peace" - Very Floydish. Cool combination of contrasting sounds and notes. Guitar solo was cool here too.

"Canada" - Almost country with that intro. Hee hee. This song was great. Good melodies. Cool lead guitar.

"Down and Under" - Kind of short.

"The Fluke" - Very cool upbeat song. Again, very Fear Factory-ish at times. Cool vocals on some parts. Best guitar solo too.

"Nobody's Here" - VERY cool song. My favorite thus far. Pretty music, good melodies, nice dynamics, etc. Most impressive solo yet - for the tone and note choice.

"Tiny Tears" - Not crazy about the start of the song. After a couple minutes I started digging it more. Killer guitar solo - again, very David Gilmour - for a moment or two so I thought I was listening to A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Cool part towards the end of the song (with the vocals and complementing musical parts) - very moving.

"Stagnant" - Happy song. Major rock metal rules. One of my favorites thus far.

"Track 11" - I guess this is a hidden track? And a joke? The beginning part is cool. The acoustic guitar, bass, and keys intertwined to form a pretty sound. The middle is rather strange.

Olaso said:
I saw Devin on Progpower 3 but his music didn't got me in to it back then, maybe I'll give him another try
I saw him live on the SX tour, and I can totally see how someone who isn't familiar with his music could be turned off by his live performance. However, once you know his stuff, you'll love him live. I know I did. :D

I really liked him live also. But I think if I did not know his music already, it would just have been okay (and too loud).

OdinsCourt said:
I saw him live on the SX tour, and I can totally see how someone who isn't familiar with his music could be turned off by his live performance. However, once you know his stuff, you'll love him live. I know I did. :D
I haven't heard much of his music, beyond what I saw at the Jaxx show with Symphony X, and I can't say I was very impressed. Too loud, too much screaming vocals and cussing at the audience and not enough guitar solos. :tickled: I was told by the friend I was with at the show that the performance was atypical of what he can really do, and to check out more his fusion-esque material.

I will say he sure gives Robin Trower a run for his money on ugly guitar faces.:p

-- Brett

OdinsCourt said:
The thing was that I was very tired, He played the second day of the festival, and the day before I heard Edguy,Blind Guardian and Pain of Salvation, and I was jumping around and everything, and got at the hotel at 3:00 am, so the fact that I never heard something from him and the fact that I was tired to death didn't help me. I actually felt asleep in the middle of his preformance :confused: :err: