Celldweller - Celldweller

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Celldweller - Celldweller
2003 - Position Music
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the official Celldweller website.

Debut albums this promising are few and far-between, especially in industrial metal. Usually the label itself is a synonym for bands who lazily slap keyboard and drum 'n bass elements into workmanlike, 'functional' metal tunes and wait for the Mansonites and NIN-fans to make them millionaires, but in the case of Celldweller, there should be no involuntary wince accompanying the 'industrial' tag. This is expertly-produced, wonderfully-packaged, and most importantly, a perfect example of how the disparate threads of electronica, trance, drum 'n' bass and good old rock and metal can be melded together to create something fresh, exciting and satisfying.

The sole work of one man, the impressively-multitalented Klayton (formerly Klay Scott of seminal 90s industrialists Circle Of Dust), Celldweller provides an eclectic and diverse listening experience without falling into the old 'jack of all trades, master of none' trap. Tracks like 'Stay With Me (Unlikely)' and 'The Last Firstborn' are brimming with aggression and futuristic accoutrements, while 'Under My Feet' displays a softer, more emotional side to the album in the shape of what may be industrial metal's first power ballad. Elsewhere on the album, the rock stylings are shot through with pure electronic ambience and trance influences, bringing an energetic and unconventional feel to proceedings.

The production is, in my opinion, perfect - every instrument is clear in the mix, and Klayton's occasional eccentric mixing flourishes add variety to an already impressive mix. About the only criticism I can level at this debut is that some of the songs reach into the five to seven minute mark, which occasionally feels overlong - 'Switchback' in particular would have benefited from a more abrupt ending rather than the seemingly tacked on beatdown-esque coda. However, berating the length of the songs in a debut this overarching in its ambition seems rather churlish, especially when it appears that so much of the musical ambition has been successfully realised within the material.

Fresh, invigorating, energetic and very, very promising - give Celldweller a listen.

8/10