Cellphone geeks . . .help me.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I currently have an HTC Touch on Alltel. In a few months Alltel will be converted to Verizon in my area. This is the only major provider I have access to.

My question is in regards to smartphone vs. messaging phone. I currently have a smartphone. I use it for email, internet, and Microsoft Office documents and such. Could I potentially switch to a messaging phone like the LG Xenon, Motorolla Evoke, etc. and still be able to get email pushed to the phone, good internet browsing, and access to Microsoft Office docs? The reason I ask is because I think plans would be cheaper, and there are tons of new "messaging" phones available now.

Well, the main question would be, do you enjoy touch panel better than say... a keyboard/keypad or number enter? I think the smartphones are just a little overrated myself, if you use a crapload of stuff on the go, go with the smartphone. BUT, if you just need a device for the things you said, a regular phone should be fine. I'll post more in a bit...

I don't believe so. I think there are a number of phones that allow you to pull it. But if you want your Gmail to just show up, get a Blackberry. If you can hold off, the Storm II should hit the stores the first week of September. From the early releases, they've listened to the complaints, fixed the keyboard, added WiFi and upgraded the camera. With the launch of the Blackberry Store, it should be the first true competitor to the iPhone.

Zod

My sister wants to switch to a iPhone from a Blackberry. Which would give me the blackberry. Is it worth it?

Well, the main question would be, do you enjoy touch panel better than say... a keyboard/keypad or number enter? I think the smartphones are just a little overrated myself, if you use a crapload of stuff on the go, go with the smartphone. BUT, if you just need a device for the things you said, a regular phone should be fine. I'll post more in a bit...

A touch screen is a must, since I am very familiar with them. I wouldn't mind a slide out keyboard, but I'm pretty good with on screen keyboard as well.

I don't believe so. I think there are a number of phones that allow you to pull it. But if you want your Gmail to just show up, get a Blackberry. If you can hold off, the Storm II should hit the stores the first week of September. From the early releases, they've listened to the complaints, fixed the keyboard, added WiFi and upgraded the camera. With the launch of the Blackberry Store, it should be the first true competitor to the iPhone.

Zod

Are people not getting along with the Storm right now? Once we are integrated to Verizon I was really wanting to look into this phone on Ebay. I really want Gmail to be pushed to the phone. I could wait until September for the Storm II.

I've got a Storm and the multiple email account features of it are great. I get a small vibration in my pants the very second increase-your-dick-size emails hit the inbox!

Why does a farmer need emails on his phone? ????

Only reason I need a phone that does 10001 things is work, since we're out of the office more often than in.

I'd completely get rid of my mobile if it didn't cost a mere $10 or so a month on top of the wife's account. I'll be getting a laptop for grad school if I'm accepted and that will be the extent of my technological nigglings

Why does a farmer need emails on his phone? ????

Only reason I need a phone that does 10001 things is work, since we're out of the office more often than in.

Today's large American farms are WAY more technologically advanced than almost any other industry. A large part of my time is spent keeping computers/GPS/electronics updated and working in tractors/sprayers/combines/etc.

Here's a friends website. He's about 1.5 hours North of me, and he farms almost exactly the same as we do.

For fun: http://www.kastensinc.com/pictures.htm

Related to farming technology: http://www.kastensinc.com/farminformation/technology/technology.htm

We're not dealing with piddly stuff you see in movies or probably most of Europe.

As we speak I'm uploading the As-Planted data from my 2009 corn planting. These maps will show me exactly what was planted as it was being planted. Many varieties of corn get planted. Then when we harvest, I'll use yield maps to show me how each variety did. We will also use yield maps to determine which areas of the field need more/less fertilizer. When you're talking about 1,000's of acres, this translates to MANY dollars saved/earned when you can apply all the data correctly.

I deal with suppliers, dealers, etc. constantly by email. I need to view spreadsheets several times a day for one reason or another. My brother gets grain marketing twitters constantly throughout the day. Grain prices can change dramatically in one day.

Today's large American farms are WAY more technologically advanced than almost any other industry. A large part of my time is spent keeping computers/GPS/electronics updated and working in tractors/sprayers/combines/etc.

Here's a friends website. He's about 1.5 hours North of me, and he farms almost exactly the same as we do.

Related to farming technology: http://www.kastensinc.com/farminformation/technology/technology.htm

We're not dealing with piddly stuff you see in movies or probably most of Europe.

As we speak I'm uploading the As-Planted data from my 2009 corn planting. These maps will show me exactly what was planted as it was being planted. Many varieties of corn get planted. Then when we harvest, I'll use yield maps to show me how each variety did. We will also use yield maps to determine which areas of the field need more/less fertilizer. When you're talking about 1,000's of acres, this translates to MANY dollars saved/earned when you can apply all the data correctly.

I deal with suppliers, dealers, etc. constantly by email. I need to view spreadsheets several times a day for one reason or another. My brother gets grain marketing twitters constantly throughout the day. Grain prices can change dramatically in one day.

in europe we sometimes use tractors

The Storm is a solid phone for most people. There's been a lot of complaining in the BB forums. VZW and RIM have responded with OS upddates and upgrades. However, the Storm II will be worth the wait. I personally have grown so accustomed to BBs and how well they do everything they do, I would never use another phone.

Zod

I dug some holes for some tomato plants today with a shovel.

The Storm is a solid phone for most people. There's been a lot of complaining in the BB forums. VZW and RIM have responded with OS upddates and upgrades. However, the Storm II will be worth the wait. I personally have grown so accustomed to BBs and how well they do everything they do, I would never use another phone.

Zod

they rule so much indeed. in the nearly 2 years I had my Curve it never gave me problems and is super fast with emails. I get them on the BB before in my regular inbox.

So this Storm II ... is it a Verizon only device?

Wow that's awesome!
Do most farmers have a Ditchwitch on-site?
Also, what is a "snow-break"? The shop they built has them.

Most farmers go way overboard on machinery. A Ditchwitch, or something similar, is pretty common on bigger farms. There are farmers that have huge cranes, airplanes, and helicopters . . . and we can write it all off on our taxes.

I guess what he meant by a snow-break was something to deflect or direct the snow away from the exaust stacks. I'm not sure exactly what they would be like.

they rule so much indeed. in the nearly 2 years I had my Curve it never gave me problems and is super fast with emails. I get them on the BB before in my regular inbox.

So this Storm II ... is it a Verizon only device?
Yes. VZW only. The Storm is the touchscreen BB. However, unlike the first revision, which had a screen you actually had to press in until it clicked, the new one will be much more iPhone-like. Add in WiFi, a 5 megapixel camera and a new OS, and it's primed to be VZW's best answer to the iPhone yet.

Zod