Celtic Frost - Monotheist

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Century Media - CD 8200-2 - 2006
By Philip Whitehouse

celticfrost_monotheist.jpg

Possibly the second most anticipated comeback album after Chinese Democracy, Celtic Frost's return to the metal scene after around thirteen years has been awaited with a mixture of trepidation and anticipation. After a series of hugely influential albums, the Swiss-American group's spectacular fall from grace following the disastrous Cold Lake album left many wondering whether they could ever claw back their fanbase and their credibility. Well, if there is any justice in the world, the jet-black monument of despondently crushing metal that is Monotheist help them do just that.

Co-produced by Pete Tagtren and Tom Gabriel Fischer himself, Monotheist has been around six years in the making, and combines most of the best aspects of Celtic Frost's back catalogue with Fischer's apparently relentless drive for musical experimentation, resulting in a lead-heavy album laced with trappings of brutal thrash, massively down-tuned doom, EBM vocals, dark ambient soundscapes with insanely distorted vocals, and a frighteningly impressive atmosphere.

Whether it be the funeral march pace and chanted, mantra-esque lyrics of 'Os Abysmi Vel Daath' suddenly giving way to a burst of double-kick adrenaline before collapsing under its own weight to give way to another plodding march, or the gradual building of seven-minute 'Obscured' from skeletal drumming, subliminal bass and sparing feedback to a heartbreakingly epic crescendo with only subtle changes in the song's arrangement throughout, or the hauntingly gorgeous orchestral album closer 'Winter' bringing Monotheist to it's final resting place, the entire album feels like a veritable torrent of emotion has gone into it's creation. There's hardly a weak point throughout. Tom's vocals are amazingly varied throughout, going from wildly aggressive strangled screaming to Sisters Of Mercy-esque goth vocals, to despondent moaning and through just about every point in between except perhaps for falsettos. Oh yeah, to my count, there's only one 'ugh' on the album. I'll let you listen out for that, because this is definitely an album that deserves a place in your collection.

9/10

Celtic Frost's Official Website
Century Media's Official Website

9/10 man I like your other reviews, a 90% on this pile of crap. I mean just cause their Celtic Frost doesn't mean you can't disrespect them. This so bland and had no intensity whats so ever. Like Sodom's singer said the Celtc Frost and Venom comebacks are a disgrace to their legendary name.

Thanks for your compliment regarding my other reviews - nice to know my work doesn't go unappreciated! As for your criticism - trust me, I'm not afraid of ripping into bands who I think deserve it, regardless of their supposed status. I went into this review knowing that it was going to be a highly divisive album, but I stand by my opinion that this is a dense, forboding and crushing album. But hey, it's just my opinion. I liked Soilwork's 'Stabbing The Drama' as well... :)

Oh, btw - I should have a review of Sodom's new album online later tonight as well - still got sixteen albums in my queue.

I wouldn't agree with that - Fischer vocals are fairly unmistakable (lack of 'ugh's notwithstanding), and despite the increased sludgy doom influence, you can still feel that CF groove driving the riffs. Orchestral moments, EBM vocals, female backing vocals and so on have all popped up on CF tracks before, too... honestly, I'd have been pretty disappointed if they'd just spen six years to pump out 'To Mega Therion pt II'.

dill_the_devil said:
Thanks for your compliment regarding my other reviews - nice to know my work doesn't go unappreciated! As for your criticism - trust me, I'm not afraid of ripping into bands who I think deserve it, regardless of their supposed status. I went into this review knowing that it was going to be a highly divisive album, but I stand by my opinion that this is a dense, forboding and crushing album. But hey, it's just my opinion. I liked Soilwork's 'Stabbing The Drama' as well... :)

Oh, btw - I should have a review of Sodom's new album online later tonight as well - still got sixteen albums in my queue.

I have a huge respect for you right now. Anyway "Stabbing the Drama" kicked ass man. I loved that album, it was in my top 10 last year, I love Strid and everything he's been in (Terror 2000, and Disarmonia Mundi).

Rock On, You Rule man :headbang:

dill_the_devil said:
I wouldn't agree with that - Fischer vocals are fairly unmistakable (lack of 'ugh's notwithstanding), and despite the increased sludgy doom influence, you can still feel that CF groove driving the riffs. Orchestral moments, EBM vocals, female backing vocals and so on have all popped up on CF tracks before, too... honestly, I'd have been pretty disappointed if they'd just spen six years to pump out 'To Mega Therion pt II'.

Theres the crux, i only rate To Mega Therion.

This is a fantastic album and I agree with your 9/10. As for the guy from Sodom saying this is a shit album, maybe he should worry about his own fuckin' band - I've yet to see a glowing review of their new album anywhere.

I'm don't even own the previous CF albums, so I'm not some fanboy - but Monotheist is an incredible album.