Tom G. Warrior leaves Celtic Frost

Translation: "The rest of my band was fed up with my ego and would've collectively walked out on me, so I preemptively broke it off with them to maintain what little dignity I have left." Tom Warrior may have given us some of the greatest recordings in the history of metal, but that doesn't change the fact that most people who've personally interacted with him, from what I've heard, describe him as a total prima donna and all-around dick. But of course you can get away with that attitude when enough people give a shit about your art. You'd think a decade away from CF would have helped him appreciate that, but whatever. Monotheist was an alright comeback, so maybe he knows what he's doing this time.

I'd like to point out that if you think Monotheist sucks, you aren't a Celtic Frost fan. Read about how much work they put into it, how physically, spiritually and mentally breaking it was to do, and just how epic the entire recording and even conceptualizing of it was. If you don't like it, I don't see how you can rightfully call yourself a fan of their art.

Even without all that stuff, it's just a fucking GOOD ALBUM.

True, I would agree. Generally you can't make a solid argument by saying "wtf haters it's good".

Why not? Is it any more worthwhile to list the good points? Is it likely to win anyone over that doesn't already like it? I don't think so.
If people don't like it, fuck 'em. It's a great metal album that's all there is to it. Doesn't need any argument, if people don't like it, who are we to convince them otherwise. They're clearly fucking stupid. :loco:

Monotheist was great, and I was looking forward to the follow up. Well, at least I saw them live.

This.

We were at the same show I beleive. Harpos right?

But fuck, I was really hoping to see them again. That show was ruined a bit for me by being with a friend who was being a total buzzkill.

Anyway, here is another statement type thing from Tom's blog.

Château St. Germain, Gruyères, Switzerland, April 8, 2008.

I am devastated beyond description, and I am infinitely disappointed. As the one member of Celtic Frost who is exposed most dramatically to the feedback by our audiences and the media, I feel troubled and humiliated about being unable to honor the enormous goodwill extended to Celtic Frost during the past few years and meet the justified expectations of our fans.

I have always seen the "Monotheist" album as a mere beginning, and a tame one at that. My mind and spirit are full of energy, creativity, and ideas. Celtic Frost had become the unreserved focus of my life for the second time. I was looking forward immeasurably to working on the next Celtic Frost album. To me, it needed to be darker, heavier, and more experimental than "Monotheist".

And yet, Celtic Frost consisted of three individuals, and I was only one of them. In the end I had to concede to myself that there was no other option.

My friendship with and respect for Martin Eric Ain remain unaffected. Moreover, I am in the process of assessing my options to eventually complete, record, and release some of the ideas I originally created for Celtic Frost and the planned next album in the course of the past few years, and to take our distinctive music out on the road again.

There is no way back.

I'd like to point out that if you think Monotheist sucks, you aren't a Celtic Frost fan. Read about how much work they put into it, how physically, spiritually and mentally breaking it was to do, and just how epic the entire recording and even conceptualizing of it was. If you don't like it, I don't see how you can rightfully call yourself a fan of their art.

I liked (and nothing more) To Mega Therion, and appreciate its influence, but thats about it with Celtic Frost. Massively overrated and overhyped band + Monotheist does suck.

Wow, he's really leaving the band. That's too bad.

I do not think Monotheist flat out "sucks", it is ok but I do not think it as good as To Mega Therion or the Morbid Tales EP. I just think that album was overhyped.

I do not think Monotheist flat out "sucks", it is ok but I do not think it as good as To Mega Therion or the Morbid Tales EP. I just think that album was overhyped.

Yeah, given that it was Celtic Frost, overhyping was probably inevitable. But my opinions of Tom Warrior as a person notwithstanding, I think he did a pretty damn good job at assembling a comeback record that wasn't a total waste of time. He neither milked the sound of their past nor struggled to fit in with current musical trends, and perhaps more importantly, Monotheist wasn't a record that I'd say I'd have been predisposed to liking merely because of the Frost logo stamped on the front; it was a good record in its own right. Not excellent by any means, but it gave me the impression that the band still had lots of potential. They may have never made another Morbid Tales, but it's still kind of a shame to see things fall apart all the same.

Monotheist sucks so this does not bother me. I listen to Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion and that's it.

Oh fuck listen to Ain Elohim, Progeny or Ground you fucking Monotheist haters. Or Obscured?? srsly. Or Os Abysmi..