circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Century – Faith and Failure
Tribunal Records – TRB072 – February 5th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

century.gif

Though Slovak (guitar, voice, ex-Armsbendback) was the sole creator of Century’s self-titled EP, he’s returned with three of his friends, and Faith and Failure is the satisfying result of said collaboration. As far as I’m concerned, while this quartet resides at the top of the heap with fellow trumpeters such as Between the Buried and Me, Swarm of the Lotus, Into the Moat, and Losa, there’s a distinct forward-thinking aura in place, recalling groups such as Burst, Mastodon, and myriad troops Neurosis allegedly spawned with their recordings (the DNA tests are still pending). Overall, fans of inventive –core will be pleased by what Century has to offer.

It doesn’t take much dissecting to figure out that Faith and Failure is a cohesive ball, formed by experimentation and an unwavering eye for creativity. Utilizing the textures and production of Burst, the energetic instrumentation of Between the Buried and Me, and the beloved crunch of Neurosis and Swarm of the Lotus thrusts these guys into the power position. Generally happier than their fellow music-makers, Century leap over the pit of incongruity with the greatest of ease – like trapeze artists – and I had no problem following their songs’ routes. Naturally, the opening number “Obsolescence” is a great place to begin, with the 0:45 minute mark packing quite a sucker punch. Book ended by more serene, overly modern sections just increases the effect of the heavier parts, perhaps even extending the lingering feelings caused by the jarring. “Watch Them Become Animals” kicks off with tough riffs and equally tough grooves, which accentuate both Century’s potency and shape-shifting abilities quite nicely. As with any release, however, there are a few drawbacks. Those sickened by anything –core may grow jaded quickly. Also, Slovak’s gruff vocalizations are mostly innocuous, and practically shy away from the forefront. Furthermore, since this debut is so in touch with morphing, it follows that it’s difficult for your brain to deposit these compositions into its memory bank without constant repetition. In other words, good luck remembering any of these 36 minutes in detail.

Like we saw with Intronaut’s Null, notable –core records are still surfacing from time to time. Of course Tribunal Records harbors plenty of groups, but many can only dream about being this interesting and poignant. Faith and Failure, despite its generic title, is practically a no-brainer for those who revel in music such as this. “An all-star effort,” I say. Then you say, “Yeah, you’re right.”

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Century Website
Official Tribunal Records Website