Change cab speakers to V30's is it worth it?

skatmatt

New Metal Member
Jan 31, 2010
Hey i have a peavey valve king cab and I want to know what everyones view is on changing the speakers to v30's

I play music kinda like emmure/misery signals.

I'll give you my take:

I just bought 2 avatar hellatone 60L speakers (which are essentially marshall V30s that have more bass response or something). I just reamped for the first time and I can't tell you how much of a difference it made. Playing it, I could see a little bit of a difference, but there are still two G75s that are in there, in the X config. But once I put a 57 up to the amp, I was blown away. I instantly found a much more pleasing and workable tone. I say do it. I don't know what the valveking cabs are made out of, but I find it hard not to be an improvement over what you have now... maybe if you want to save up for a bit, buy an avatar cab with V30s already in it. I think you can get a new one for 500 ish... and it's supposedly a lot like a mesa cab tone, but I don't know how true that is. haha

yah, if you're willing to wait and sell your cab, def get a different one. Mesa's are obviously a bit pricey. If you are on limited funds, avatar and marshall both make great cabs. Orange cabs are on the expensive side as are mesa, but you get what you pay for.

I'm getting a 4x12 soon; but not with V30's. They're heavy, and I want to save my back, so I'm going to try the Celestion Vintage Century's ... I'll post clips once I get them.

I'll give you my take:

I just bought 2 avatar hellatone 60L speakers (which are essentially marshall V30s that have more bass response or something).

I think they're just regular V30s that are put through a process that wears them in a bit for you.

I'm getting a 4x12 soon; but not with V30's. They're heavy, and I want to save my back, so I'm going to try the Celestion Vintage Century's ... I'll post clips once I get them.

Great! I've been curious about how those compare to V30s for quite a while now.

I think they're just regular V30s that are put through a process that wears them in a bit for you.

No, I know that. However, if you peel back the sticker of the hellatone 60's, it says celestion V30. If you peel it back on the hellatone 60L (which I have) it says Marshall V30. Apparently the marshall v30 that I have was originally made for their mode 4 cabs by celestion. Just like celestion apparently voiced some v30's darker for mesa.

Yea i was gonna replace the speakers instead of a new cab cos a new cab (mesa) is twice the price

Sorry to jump this thread, but has anyone got any comments on the 10" V30s?? I am thinking of putting a couple in a 4x10 cab i currently own.
thanks