Speakers to mix with V30's in an X pattern?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
So I have this Marshall 1960 cab that I got 2 Vintage 30's in with the stock T-75's in an X pattern. I'm not particularly fond of how T-75's sound under the mic for my stuff or how sizzly and kinda hollow the cab sounds in the room. I want to keep the cab, though, because the V30's sound fine mic'd. I want warmer and less scooped both in the room and under the mic.

Is there anything to consider when mixing two kinds of speakers in a 4x12 other than sensitivity? Will there not be phase issues from mixing different speakers?

Right now, I am looking at:

Celestion Creambacks - My guitarist loaded a custom cab with 2 of these and I really like them in the room. I also like the clips I've heard of them mic'd. Don't know if there would be issues with them being mixed with V30's(?)

Eminence Texas Heats - I like the clips I've heard of them. Smooth and dark. They sound cool in that Trivium record too. Don't know if there would be issues with them being mixed with V30's(?)

Celestion Vintage 30's - Probably the safest bet is to fill it up with all V30's? Would prefer to have more different flavors to mic, though, and I really don't know if I'd consider V30's "warm" either.

What kind of greenbacks have you got? Classic or Heritage? And I'm asssuming the GB's warm the sound up as opposed to all V30's, right?

Just the classics, yeah they're more midrangey and crunchy. Strangely one of mine is SUPER bright so I don't tend to mic that up, whereas the other is so smooth on top that I can literally mic dead centre of the cone. They're both meant to be the same model of speaker though.

I already have T-75's. Don't like the mix.

Are K100's available as 16 ohm speakers? I see the Celestion site only makes mention of them in 8 ohms.