Chaos Theory

da.benson8r

Aug 24, 2010
Hey Chris,

I've been checking out your Chaos Theory lessons lately and I'm really interested in the theory of the keyboard-style arpeggios that you did. You mentioned some interesting chords, like a Neapolitan chord and I believe you called it a 5 of 5 chord. I'm interested to find out: how exactly are both of those chords constructed? And is there a practical use for them, especially in conventional music (other than the excellent compositions that you write)?

A neapolitan Chord is a major chord build on the lowered second degree of a major or minor scale.
examples:
f major scale -> g flat major chord
f minor scale -> g flat major chord
c major sclae -> d flat major chord
a minor scale -> b flat major chord
a flat major scale -> b double flat major chord

these chords are often used in their first inversion as a substitution for the second or fourth chord of the scale.

I've never heard about 5 of 5 chords myself, maybe someone else can help; I'm interested too.

they're both predominate chords. Meaning, they postpone the tonal movement to the 5 chord, before resolving on one (in tonal harmony). You've got the Neapolitan chord right, a major chord built off of the flatted second, (This one has always sounded like music from Batman), the 5 of 5 is simply a secondary dominant.

This is easily explained by saying that you establish a momentary tonal center on your 5 chord, as opposed to a complete shift. Ex. in C major, you are approaching your G chord, but the chord in front is a D major chord. D major is outside the tonality of G major, as it has a C#, and would act as the 5 chord in G major. So we then have the 5 of 5 to 5. You can treat this as a time to shift keys, or continue in C major.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying the Neapolitan. That's an interesting way to use a chord, for sure.

Okay, so would the 5 of 5 be a similar concept to tritone substitution in jazz music?

Also, I just did some research and found a section of the Moonlight Sonata that shows a Neapolitan example. The chords are G#dom7, C#m, D major (the Neapolitan 6th), and G#dom7 with an omitted 5. Since the song is in the key of C#m already, would the G#dom7 following the Neapolitan also be an example of a 5 of 5 chord?

My Jazz theory is a bit rusty, but a tri-tone sub is different.

I'd need to see the music you're talking about, but if the neapolitan is proceeded by the D major and finally the G, then yes, that would be a case of both chords. They both move to the dominant, so it is very common to see them both implemented.

if you click on measure 50 on the list it shows you the chords. It just goes 5 to i. You made it sound like it when D major to G to C minor.

Okay then, it makes more sense now. It's a really interesting concept though, I wanna try it out in some of my own compositions. Thanks for the clarification.