Question for Mr Broderick regarding music theory (Head Crusher Solo)

HeavyMetalVagabond

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2011
Hello Chris (and everyone),

Chris, you're approach to soloing and the importance of music theory has really inspired me to start learning myself as I've realised just how much one can improve as a musician; I've learnt more about the theory in Scales and Arpeggios within the last week than I have ever learnt before. I now understand the make up of a say a C#m7 arpeggio, a 6 5 1 in Em and I'm getting to grips with major, minor and harmonic minor scales in all the different keys. I was never taught any of this, since associated board teachers tend to focus on instrument performance rather than the theory behind what you are playing.

*My Question* to you (and everyone) is, in the head crusher solo (for example), why is it that you can play a lick in D Hungarian Gypsy Minor, and D Harmonic Minor, then into an A Harmonic Minor when the rhythm section is not in any of these keys and it still sounds good??? ... (at least I dont think it is, you talk about a flattened 5 (the Bb) in the vid with James Lomenzo so Im assuming its in E/Em.. but then again some of the power chords seem to fit Dm so im not too sure... you can see ive still got a lot to learn hahaha)

Thanks for your time,
take care

Hey man, I think ive found a plausible explanation for the question we share.

Both the A and D harmonic minor scales share every single note in the rhythm solo section apart from the flatB, this is when both either the A or D harmonic minor scales can be used without some/if any clashing of notes.

Hope this helps and makes some sort of sense

edit: Ive looked into it a bit more and there are actually no notes that clash in any of the scales, The notes in all scales including the Gypsy minor and all found in the Roots of the 5 chords or the 5 itsself.

Hope this helps.

wow! thanks man... all makes sense now! ... now that you've explained it like that I feel stupid for not realizing sooner hahaha! Cheers dude!

Hey man, I think ive found a plausible explanation for the question we share.

Both the A and D harmonic minor scales share every single note in the rhythm solo section apart from the flatB, this is when both either the A or D harmonic minor scales can be used without some/if any clashing of notes.

Hope this helps and makes some sort of sense

edit: Ive looked into it a bit more and there are actually no notes that clash in any of the scales, The notes in all scales including the Gypsy minor and all found in the Roots of the 5 chords or the 5 itsself.

Hope this helps.
I couldn't have said it better myself Ahhhahaha.

Take care, Chris.

Also if you view it as playing over the changes then you can get away with different tonalities over each chord (though these chords go by pretty quickly).

Take care, Chris.

thanks 'spittles' and Mr Broderick, really cleared things up... i don't think i was approaching music theory from the right angle at the time i asked this, and you guys really helped. Btw Mr Broderick, my paycheck is going towards your Jackson 7 String signature (Trans Black or Trans White!? decisions, decisions :p), its gona kick ass! Plus, heard on a youtube interview and guitarworld you were into Periphery etc. check out a band called 'Animals as Leaders' if you haven't already, i reckon you'd totally dig it
Thanks once again guys,
Take care