Theory question: intervals

lord667

=UM=Heartburn
May 13, 2002
Coventry, UK
www.geocities.com
I've been studying (perhaps that's too strong a word) some theory, and I'm given to understand the following:

All unison, octave, perfect fifth, major/minor third and major/minor sixth intervals are "consonant".

All major/minor second, major/minor seventh, and any augmented or diminished intervals are "dissonant".

Perfect fourths are consonant in melody but dissonant in harmony.

However, I'm confused on one point. Augmented fifth = minor sixth, for all intents and purposes, right? But that means that a four-tone interval is both consonant AND dissonant. I'm assuming it depends on the context, but how you differentiate? Under what circumstances will a minor sixth be, in fact, dissonant?

Depends on what the root of the chord is, and what key you are in. If memory serves me right, to augment, you raise a note by a half step, which could technically make it a 6th.

In C Major: let's say your root is C. A 6th would be C + A; an augmented 5th would be C + G#. In this case, the G# is not in the key of C Major, and if you play the augmented 5th chord, it is "off key" and dissonant. On the other hand, the major 6th sounds consonant.

However, in a minor: make your root A. A 6th would be A + F; but an augmented 5th would also be A + F, because a half step above E (the 5th) is also F.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but hopefully it does; if need be, I'll dig through my theory books, 'cause I'm a bit rusty on theory as of right now.

Pita Bread said:
Good point. Can you give me a definition of "consonant" and "dissonant"? I'm starting get confused about this matter too.

Basically, I think dissonant intervals are those that (within a traditional Western context) sound jarring and seem to require resolution, consonant intervals are harmonious and do not. That's what confused me, because the aug5/m6 (and the dim4/maj3 too, I realised) can apparently fall under either category.

Consonent = nice

dissonent = gross

and 6ths and 2nds and 7ths dont neccesarily sound dissonant, but they are a less used interval

and the augmented 5th = minor 6th thing - wrong. . it all depends on the key like. . .pita said but i shall clarify

In C Major: let's say your root is C. A 6th would be C + A; an augmented 5th would be C + G#. In this case, the G# is not in the key of C Major, and if you play the augmented 5th chord, it is "off key" and dissonant. On the other hand, the major 6th sounds consonant
major scale - c, d,e, f, g, a, b, c

in key of C - augmented 5th = g#, or an Ab depending on circle of fifths

LEARN THIS PICTURE the shapr notes are the flat in the key, if a note falls on that line, without a natural sign it will be either sharped or flatted, so lets say you are in the key of G, the sharp is a F# (i think. . this is from memory) so there cannot be such a things as a Gb becasue G is already taken up by the root note. . the thing with scales and shit, one note letter cannot be repeated
Circle%20of%20Fifths%20Small.jpg

learn this shit. . it helps. . .a fucking lot. .
Correct
Major G Scale - G A B C D E F# G

Incorrect
G A B C E Gb G

What is consonant to you may be dissonant to others. There is no definition, as far as I know. Jazz guys find tritones and major sevenths nice, so go figure... Some classical musicians find perfect fourths dissonant in certain contexts... It's all relative.

ignore the consant and not shit. You have 4 perfect intervals, unison, 4th, 5th, and octave (8th)

tritone is not a minor sixth, tritone is a tritone and only that.

it goes like this..

unison m2 M2 m3 M3 P4 P5 Tritone m6 M6 m7 M7 8

M7 is a leading tone, it makes your ear want to hear a cadence.

tritone is not a minor sixth, tritone is a tritone and only that.

Yes, I wasn't talking about the tritone (that's a dim5 or aug4), I was thinking that the aug5 and m6 are the same because they are both four tones. I needed to know the contexts under which a four-tone interval would be one or the other.

unison m2 M2 m3 M3 P4 P5 Tritone m6 M6 m7 M7 8

Actually, the tritone comes between P4 and P5 - I'm assuming you're listing them in order of semitones.

M7 is a leading tone, it makes your ear want to hear a cadence.

That's what I'm picking up on as part of the definition of "dissonant". I don't know if that's a universal usage or just a few people's opinion though, I need to read a little wider to find out.

yeah, tritone is between p4 and p5, i blew it :tickled:

Dissonance is really an opinion. The most common dissonate intervals are m2 and the tritone.

try playing a root, m2, tritone chord on guitar.... evil!! :OMG:

and don't ask what you would call a chord like that, because i have no idea. You have to kind of make it inverted though so it is tritone lowest, then root, then the m2.

Oh, aug5 and m6 *could* be considered the same note. But if the scale is a major scale, the 6 is a M6 so you would make the 5th augmented.. that's sort of my take on it. Theory is messy.. like sex!

try playing a root, m2, tritone chord on guitar.... evil!! :OMG:

That does sound pretty cool.

and don't ask what you would call a chord like that, because i have no idea. You have to kind of make it inverted though so it is tritone lowest, then root, then the m2.

Hmm, a challenge! Well...if you put the m2 at the bottom of the stack, then the tritone, and then the root on top, you've got a P4 and a maj7...so...it's an inverted maj7add4, played without the fifth and third?

That sounds ridiculous. Someone give us the answer, please!