Test Your Musical Ear

BlackMetalWhiteGuy

Manly Man!
Apr 15, 2007
Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
Someone from the TabIt forums posted this and I've been playing it pretty much all night. When I first started, I had about 45% accuracy on the interval trainer, but a few hours later, I'm now up to around 65%, and I can choose my answers more quickly, with fewer replays. I haven't tried the Chord trainer yet and I probably won't until I'm more comfortable with the interval trainer.

Anyway, this is a lot of fun and is certainly helpful, as well as probably being the least stupid thing on the internet that I've ever wasted my time on.
Stevecubus said:
So we're all musicians up in here, but how many of you have good ears? Can you tell the difference between a Minor 6th and a Major 6th? How about a Perfect 4th and a Perfect 5th?

http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html

How many of you can correctly guess 100 intervals, perfectly?

Challenge "rules":
* Switch off "unison" and "octave", those shouldn't count.
* Change the options - play mode would be the two notes separate / together, direction is just 'up'. if you want to really be a badass, do up/down.

This trainer reminded me how bad my ear actually is. Yesterday I played until I hit 300 'correct' guesses, but my score was at 58%, so i must have done nearly 600 and got half of them wrong.

I did better today, at least, but this was definitely a wake-up call to how much training I still need. I mean, how would it work if a painter didn't know his colors? A musician should know his intervals/notes.

And, if you're feeling froggy, try the Chord ear-trainer.
http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id92_en.html

Covers your basic triads (Maj, Min, Aug, Dim, Sus [4th i'd assume]) and your basic 7th chords (Dominant, Major, Minor, Diminished, 7b5 [half diminished]). Doesn't cover extended chords or some funkier ones (MinMaj7), but it's still fairly comprehensive.

So, TabIt... how good are your ears? Screenshots, too, if possible, please.

This seems very interesting. I'm trying to learn music theory, since all I know is tabs haha.

I learned most of the music theory that I know through my experience with TabIt and it was definitely easier than learning standard notation. For me, tabs are also a lot more practical.

EDIT: I read music too, but it was definitely easier to learn everything in tab form first and apply it that way.

EDIT 2: I'm up to 75% to 80% now.