A Question about chords and Keys

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have been playing guitar for about a year and half now and know how to determine when to play a major or minor chord in any particular Key - for example in the Key of C the chords would be Cmajor, Dminor, Eminor, Fmajor, Gmajor, Aminor, and Bdim. I also understand that the natural minor note is the 6th and therefore one could play the Aminor pentatonic scale over these chords.

The question I have is how do all the aug, sus, etc type chords come into play? If one plays say a CMajor/sus type chord can one still go into the basic minors/majors of that particular key or should all sus type chords then be played?

I hope I am making sense, and that one of you could answer me.

alright for your first question its pretty simple, just follow this formula:

the first of every key is major, the second and third of any key is minor, the forth and fifth of any key is major, the sixth is the relative minor, and the seventh is diminished. Every key is like that, you just gotta make sure you know what is sharp and what is flat.

For the second question, if the C is major in any key, then instead of just playing a generic c-major, you can replace it with any c major variant (like the sus chord) and it will work. That doesnt mean it will be the chord that sounds best, but it will be in key.

Hope that helps

a sus chord is either 1-2-5 or 1-4-5 and major is 1-3-5. so sus chords aren't major or minor. and when you're playing over a sus chord don't try to emphasize or end/start a phrase the third scale degree like you normally would.

If you know basic theory, and are up to it, I suggest getting a book called "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene.

It explains the 3 basic family of chords, how they are built and how they relate. The chord substitution section covers some jazz theory ,etc.

Worth the money and time-I have learned much about chords because of that book

Thanks MetalChef...I just may do that.

Since I first wrote this post, I discovered much more about chords and chord substitutions. The answers were right in the lessons I've been taking...Basically, for any type of chord in any particular key (=X), one can substitute for another chord as long as least one note from the original chord/s in the key of X is utilized.

You should REALLLY get chord chemistry!

the general subsitiution rules cover all of that, plus it brings in the idea of "chord voices".how each note in a chord moves from chord to chord

MetalChef said:
If you know basic theory, and are up to it, I suggest getting a book called "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene.

It explains the 3 basic family of chords, how they are built and how they relate. The chord substitution section covers some jazz theory ,etc.

Worth the money and time-I have learned much about chords because of that book
Does it have tablature?