Charlie Daniels Not Happy About 'Devil' In 'Guitar Hero III'

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
Not exactly metal related, but I know how so many folks on here have an interest in Guitar Hero.

Here's a link to the article.

MyFoxNational reports said:
Country singer Charlie Daniels has posted to the "Soapbox" section of his website that he's unhappy with his hit "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" appearing in 'Guitar Hero III,' because it's possible for the devil to win. Daniels, who lost the rights to "Devil" in a legal settlement, wrote: "I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest and I'm sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song."

I found this pretty interesting, especially since I didn't know Daniels no longer had the rights to "Devil." I can understand why he's upset and I think he's right to say that whole idea goes against the essence of the song.

I wish they had a "Guitar Hero: The Rebellion Package" where the guitar serves more like the control for a Wii and you just go around using the guitar to beat the shit out of record executives, managers and other corporate types who have attempted to rob you of your artistic expression or integrity. I would laugh so hard if they actually made something like that.

Is that a late April Fools joke, or perhaps an Onion story?

If not it's just silly talk ... it's a game for crying out loud. Who really gives a rats ass if the "Devil" can win or not .. other than Charlie, and religious radicals.

Britt

As far as I can tell, it's a news release (or story) with a quote from the party releasing the information.

As a writer (lyrical and prose) I completely understand where Charlie is coming from and I don't think it makes him a religious radical, just because he has an opinion about the lyrical integrity of a song HE wrote. Someone has taken the opportunity to alter the outcome of a body of work he created. I'd be annoyed too. I don't think he ever intended it to be a "choose your own adventure" type song. He had an ending in mind when he wrote it, and it's obvious he would have liked it to stay that way.

I do have to say that regardless of the lyrical way Charlie wrote the song, musically the Devil kicked the shit out of Johnny in the original song. That said, I still think Mr. Daniels has ever right to voice his opinion about and be upset with someone who has altered the nature of his artwork, even if he doesn't own the rights to it anymore.

I've never played Guitar Here, so I don't know much about the devil guitar player in the game and its ability to beat the player. I have seen videos of people playing it, so I recognize the visual aspect of the game.

From what I know about the game, it's about the accuracy of the player and not necessarily competing directly against the devil.

I think he's just over-reacting to his music being involved in a game about heavy metal music and OMG devils on the screen. Here's his text from the website:

http://www.charliedaniels.com/soapbox-2008-040408.htm
Guitar Hero

I had a rude awakening recently when I looked at a video game.

It was called Guitar Hero and is wildly popular with the younger set. I heard they had used one of my songs but I hadn't seen it until recently and when I did I was in for some unpleasant surprises.

The game features a rock band playing heavy metal covers of different songs and enables the player to become part of the band, pushing colored buttons on a faux guitar neck which correspond with
colors going by on the screen as the song plays.

Actually the game really has a dark side complete with grotesque monsters on stage with the band, strange, eerie lighting effects and all manner of weird things popping up on the stage.

To tell you the truth the whole thing bothered me and struck me as something that is not the healthiest thing in the world for young, impressionable minds to be exposed to, but the thing that really got me was what they had done with my song.

The song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," which I wrote, is supposed to be a lighthearted novelty about a fiddling contest between a country boy and the devil and the devil always loses.

That is not the case with the Guitar Hero version which comes complete with a horned, guitar-playing devil who battles the player and very often wins.

I want any of you parents out there whose children have this game to know that I did not grant these people my permission to pervert my song and am disgusted with the result.

Unfortunately I lost the publishing rights on the song many years ago in a settlement with a former partner and the license to Guitar Hero was granted by the company who now owns the publishing.

I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest and I'm sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song.

At this time I don't know if I have any legal recourse, probably not, but I wanted you folks to know that I vehemently disagree with what has been done to a piece of my work. And would like to pass along a little advice to parents of young children.

This game looks innocent enough but if you have a child who is playing it, take the time to sit with him or her while they're playing along and take a serious look at the images on the screen.

You may be surprised at the world they're being exposed to.

Pray for our troops

What do you think?

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

April 4, 2008

Don't misunderstand .. I wasn't calling Charlie a religious radical .. just saying that there are people out there that would look at the Devil winning as something unholy.

Overall I looked at this from a different angle than you did. They make video games for all the various movies that come out, and in those games you control the actions of the characters. I don't recall guys like Stephen King, and George Lucas making similar comments about their original concepts getting taken out of context.

Honestly I think Charlie's problem with this whole deal is that he's not able to cash in. I somehow think if he was getting a check from the game maker you wouldn't hear a peep.

Britt

Honestly I think Charlie's problem with this whole deal is that he's not able to cash in. I somehow think if he was getting a check from the game maker you wouldn't hear a peep.
I have to agree with you at least somewhat after reading Charlie's full statement. Although I don't necessarily think he lacks concern for the integrity of his artwork just because he's missing out on the cash. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle of what you and he are saying.

Looks like I only got about half the story from that news link. Guess I shouldn't have expected much more from a FAUX News site. :lol:

I wish they had a "Guitar Hero: The Rebellion Package" where the guitar serves more like the control for a Wii and you just go around using the guitar to beat the shit out of record executives, managers and other corporate types who have attempted to rob you of your artistic expression or integrity. I would laugh so hard if they actually made something like that.
Except that'd just be another marketing ploy.

Lol, I love how he talks about the images on screen. When I play the game, i'm so engrossed by the flood of candy colored bumps streaming down my screen that I barely look at the "concert" backdrop. I think it's there more for people who AREN'T playing.

That's an awesome song - and I'm STUCK at that part of the game, too. (I just finally bought it last week... I couldn't justify spending $45 on a USED copy and finally got it on ebay for under $30.)

:)
Is that a late April Fools joke, or perhaps an Onion story?

If not it's just silly talk ... it's a game for crying out loud. Who really gives a rats ass if the "Devil" can win or not .. other than Charlie, and religious radicals.

Britt

Read the fine print. If you lose, the devil really does get your soul you son of a bitch.

Britt

Bingo!

Oh yeah, and it's actually just "inspired by" Devil Went Down to Georgia, and not actually the original song. He should be happy that he actually inspired anything.

And furthermore, I've suspected that Charlie Daniels actually IS the devil for quite some time now. Guitar Hero only cemented my suspicions.

But seriously, Charlie, thanks for the laugh you idiot.:lol: Now go away.

My son plays Guitar Hero all the time (alright, I do too), but when that came on, I found it "kitchy" and comical. Seriously, what is funnier (is that a word?) than battling the devil while playing a song about battling the devil? So far, I've beaten him on all the levels that I played.

And, yes, he wins sometimes, he doesn't win all the time.

I don't find the images offensive, and my son hasn't made a comment beyond trying to get Tom Morello and one of the gal characters to get together. "Mom, Oh, they would so make a good couple if they were real." Which is actually fairly innocent and NORMAL child behavior.

-Metal

I do have to say that regardless of the lyrical way Charlie wrote the song, musically the Devil kicked the shit out of Johnny in the original song.

I've always thought the same thing....of course, it was never a fair contest anyway, since "a band of demons joined in." :)

Lol, I love how he talks about the images on screen. When I play the game, i'm so engrossed by the flood of candy colored bumps streaming down my screen that I barely look at the "concert" backdrop. I think it's there more for people who AREN'T playing.

I'm not a player, just an amused observer....but that's exactly the impression I've always gotten from watching the game. For players it'd be "Oh, yeah, there's this corny background I occasionally notice during slower spots."
:D

Maybe I've never heard the "unedited" version of the song, but I'm always heard it "son of a gun." Hmmm... that's interesting.
We used to listen to that song as kids, and get a kick out of the "son of a bitch" part. It was like the only way we felt we could actually get away with cussing ;) I have Charlie's greatest hits on cd .. it says SOB as well. The radio stations used to play the "son of a gun" version all the time, so maybe that's what you are used to hearing.

Britt

I have a HUUUUGE gripe with their version of "Devil".

In the game, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HEAR THE ENTIRE SONG.

Roger knows one of the guys who recorded the guitars in the song, and he does a phenomenal shredfest for it. But you CAN'T HEAR IT! If you lose to the Devil, the song cuts early. If you beat the Devil, he ruins the ending and it cuts short. You can't play the song alone and just play it all. He had to download a soundtrack version of the song just to hear the whole piece, guitar wizardry and all.

I think that's kinda unfair to the crew who recorded the song for the game. It's an awesome song, but impossible to hear it all cuz the game itself keeps you from hearing it all.

Not to mention all that shenanigans with the interference you can throw back and forth to make the other player mess up.

I have a HUUUUGE gripe with their version of "Devil".

In the game, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO HEAR THE ENTIRE SONG.

Roger knows one of the guys who recorded the guitars in the song, and he does a phenomenal shredfest for it. But you CAN'T HEAR IT! If you lose to the Devil, the song cuts early. If you beat the Devil, he ruins the ending and it cuts short. You can't play the song alone and just play it all. He had to download a soundtrack version of the song just to hear the whole piece, guitar wizardry and all.

I think that's kinda unfair to the crew who recorded the song for the game. It's an awesome song, but impossible to hear it all cuz the game itself keeps you from hearing it all.

Not to mention all that shenanigans with the interference you can throw back and forth to make the other player mess up.

My friends and I have played the song in it's entirety in co-op mode more times than I can count. So I've got no clue what you mean here.