Cheap Electronic Drums

AllanD

boom tap boom-boom tap
Jul 2, 2008
Houston
So I'm sick of programming drums, and I'm a decent drummer. Any of you guys experienced with electric sets? I'm thinking of using it in conjunction with Superior. If getting a decent one is expensive, I'm open to DIY. Opinions?

Cheap as in >400$ new/used.

Whoops, forgot to put that on the first post. Any specific things I should look for/watch out for?

I think the Alesis DM5 Pro looks really good for not much money, especially if you can get one second hand.

owned one, DO NOT recommend. the module is simply awful... does not trigger very well. i've owned a trigger i/o as well, also useless after extensive attempts at configuring and even flashing the firmware. I've had four different e-kits in my lifetime and fantasized about countless more... seriously, you NEED to get a cheap Roland. anything else just doesn't work. you will be frustrated and waste time/money trying anything else. i owned a roland HD-1, the one with the fake kicks (which are super quiet and rather fun) and that was by far the best i've had and was awesome to plug into superior or any toontrack sampler. the obvious limitation there, is you can't do double kick/hi-hats at the same time.

now i have a frankensteined old td-6 that i shat together with various parts and i wish i just had a new one because the modules on the floor and there's a horrifying cabling nightmare intertwined all around it and the kick is broken, but... it's still awesome. roland. must.

if you're handy and motivated, lurk around on some DIY e-kit forums, you can build e-kits from virtually nothing with some time and a soldering iron... and then you just gotta find a td-6 or something kickin around on eBay.

......all that being said, the newest alesis (NOT the DM5) seems reasonable for the price, after sitting down at it only briefly in guitar center.

edit: also, the other thing about the DM5 pro (especially with the surge cymbals) is that the thing is just ridiculously loud, like ... louder than dampened drums. totally negates the point of having an e-kit to start.

You might have to shell out some more, but I highly recommend getting used Roland like darthjujuu said up there. Their entry-level kits are, despite being their cheapest line, real workhorses. Get a model that allows you to adjust the triggering parameters, but if you can't find one, look for a TD-3KV, they'll probably go for 400-500 these days.

I got the Roland TD-3. I think they have a new product line called the TD-3KV or sumthin now. They work really well
Which is better really, the only problem with mine was that hihat pedal fucked out after 2 years or so (can buy a new one)
Good thing is that you can record cymbals with overheads/room mics & use the Roland for toms, snare, kick with SD2.0 etc.
Make sure you figure out if it's a USB connection for MIDI or you need to buy a MIDI cable &/or MIDI interface (ask the salesman at the store or look online)