Looking for a new bass guitar, need help!

Rasmus321

New Metal Member
Aug 28, 2014
www.facebook.com
I'm kindof sick of the virtual basses so I'm thinking about buying a cheap but decent bass to record di for post hardcore/alternative metal. Is there any bass you would recommend? I would tune it to drop G#.
My interface is Focusrite scarlett 2i2, would I need a DI-box? And in that case.. what cheap but decent DI -box would you recommend? Thanks!

I had a cheap bass and I sold it because I couldn't get a good enough sound. I then bought and okay bass. I sold that because I couldn't get a good enough sound. I then bought a really good bass and the problem was solved.

Having said all that the cheap real bass sounds better than VIs IMO. If you're tuning as low as Ab I'd recommend a 5 string bass.

I don't know anything about the Focusrite. I assume it has an instrument input which is more the adequate.

@abt can I ask which basses fell into which category? I've found similar things to be the case but have truly never owned/tracked/worked with a bass DI track that I felt sounded 'great'. :(

For tuning that low you're going to need something with a 35" scale length, some beefy strings and a visit to a good tech to get the bass setup and nut recut.

Spector Legend 5 might be a good bet if you can get one second hand? Or maybe an Ibanez BTB?

To be totally honest, I don't even know if I've heard a bass other than a dingwall sound good tuned that low. It's sort of more of a percussion instrument in most cases. You also have to watch out b/c the amount of magnetic energy from a .140-.175 gauge string can sometimes violently clip pickups-- particular exposed poles.

@abt can I ask which basses fell into which category? I've found similar things to be the case but have truly never owned/tracked/worked with a bass DI track that I felt sounded 'great'. :(

I can't remember what the really cheap one was, something generic. It was easy to play but sounded terrible.

Bass number two was a Charvel. I don't know what model. A friend has it now. It was pretty good but I still couldn't get there.

A few years ago when our dollar was super high I bought a Fender American jazz deluxe 5 string. I actually wanted a just a regular Jazz but when I played this thing I had to have it. It was about $1600US, their even more expensive now. I think getting a 5 string helped a lot. I play sevens so a 5 string bass is a perfect match.

I'd still engarage the OP to get something. As I said before IMO a real bass sounds better than a VI.

In one of the CreativeLive classes a sample mix was in F or F#. The bass was unusable tuned that low so they tuned an octave higher instead (upward from standard), and then it worked just fine. Something to consider, and then you are OK with a 4string.

Regarding quality, I am in the same boat, now looking to upgrade. So far I found that active electronics with passive pickups suck, so you are better off with a passive if you can't afford an all active.
I would say look around for used ones, often they are upgraded as well.

I believe it is difficult for a guitarist to hear what is a good bass sound so I also suggest asking a bassist friend to help you choose. I should have done that earlier myself...

I believe it is difficult for a guitarist to hear what is a good bass sound so I also suggest asking a bassist friend to help you choose. I should have done that earlier myself...

Oh god no, that's not my experience at all. Most bass players I've come across are gronks who couldn't cut it on guitar. Bass shopping for them is "what looks cool but cost less than....".

I've only known a few real bassist and they each had about a dozen bands after them.

Oh god no, that's not my experience at all. Most bass players I've come across are gronks who couldn't cut it on guitar. Bass shopping for them is "what looks cool but cost less than....".

I've only known a few real bassist and they each had about a dozen bands after them.

Yeah I don't think those even count as bass players, they are gronks who own a bass.

I was confronted with the same problem than you and bought an ibanez btb 675. i´m quite satisfied with it; there might be a lot better ones but for me it does the job. it was around 800 € i think. but for your records, i am not a bass player; i´m a guitar guy who uses the bass to record; so maybe bass players can tell you more.

cheers
jens