Cheapest 2560x1600 monitor?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I can't find anything under like $1100. I was thinking about building another studio PC since I'm not really using anything Mac specific these days but a new PC would run me at least $800, plus $1100 for the monitor is putting me close to $2k. I can get a 27" iMac for that price that does 2560x1600 just fine... Anyone have any suggestions? Since when is it cheaper to buy a Mac than to build a PC with same specs and same size display?!

Yeah seriously it's brutal, but 2560x1600 workspace would be sooo amazing... My current monitor is a 22" 1680x1050 which is alright, but the next jump up is only 1900x1200 which isn't a really significant jump, whereas 2560x1600 is absolutely massive...

Will probably just build a PC and keep current monitor for now, those 30" beasts will come down in price eventually I'm sure...

Mine is a 23" 2048x1152 for around $200. Above that they get ridiculously expensive very fast.

Found a 28" 1920x1200 for about $300 which isn't bad. I guess with a screen that big, I can zoom out to get more workspace because everything will be blown up anyways... Obviously I'm going to lose detail compared to higher resolution but it's not like I'm editing photos or anything... Maybe I'll hit the computer store this week with Reaper loaded on a USB key and see how it looks for real estate.

Zooming out won't show you more tracks, though, unless you make the tracks narrower which often means sacrificing metering and other stuff.

Zooming out won't show you more tracks, though, unless you make the tracks narrower which often means sacrificing metering and other stuff.

Yeah I know :/ I just mean I can see the tracks at the same physical size as they would be on a smaller screen but see more of them, even though I would probably have to sacrifice some of the things like you mentioned since the resolution isn't high enough to truly compensate. I'm totally aware that just a bigger screen without bigger resolution just means bigger versions of everything, not more workspace, but it sort of would give me more workspace since I could shrink things to a size that would normally leave them hard to see on a smaller screen...

Like this is hard to work with on my laptop, but blow this up on a 28" screen and I can work with it a lot better, even though I didn't actually gain any resolution...
reaperscreen.jpg

How about buying a normal screen, and mounting it vertically?

That way you'll get loads more tracks on your screen (also cheaper) (with less desk space used up).

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2711-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0039648BO[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cinema-Display-27-Inch-MC007LL/dp/B0043GCBU4/ref=pd_cp_pc_3[/ame]

Both under $1000, but dunno if it's still too expensive.

I'm using a Samsung P2770HD, 27 inches, 1920 x 1080, has built in TV Tuner aswell, got it for around £240, probably alot less in the states.