Check our first official live video! MORTON - Brotherhood of Light

Max Morton

Sep 21, 2008
UA, Kyiv
www.maxmorton.com
At last, our debut live video is out!
I'm happy to present you the song from our upcoming album performed and filmed live! It is called "Brotherhood of Light":

Oh btw! Our album will be released in Japan on the 20th of July and here in Ukraine on the 15th of July :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, that's LIVE? Sounds awesome for a live video, Dvd material for sure. I love the wardrobe as well

Yep, live, seventeen channels from the console (post fader, so there is a certain imprint of the FOH engineer we're working with) but then mixed by me in Cubase. No overdubs, just manual "gating" of the guitar and vocal channels.

oh l, oh r, hat, th, tm, tf, st, sb, k, guitar1, guitar2, bass DI, vox, playbackL ,playbackR (not in this song), stereo hall mic.

It's pleasure to know it sounds clean and "DVD" - we're working our asses off at the rehearsals and chasing quality, not quantity, regarding our live shows.

Now when I've tried mixing the live stuff, I must say it's much more fun then producing studio records.

Thanks man! You mean, the model of Les Paul shaped guitar? Then no, it's not a Palmer, it's a custom built rare and amazing sounding instrument. We've equipped it with SD (sh4 and 59) pickups, Sperzel locking tuners. Kickass kickaxe :kickass: :heh:[/Q

no, i mean is that a palmer speaker simulator (load box) on the amps sound instead of a mic?

I grew listening to this kind of stuff which I always loved. It is a great pleasure to listen to someone in this forum that can really sing.

No offense to deathmeatlers and screamers that i also like.. but less.:)

Jevil: Thanks, man!
Yeah, I'm lovin the extreme stuff and 50% of what I'm recording is extreme metal. But I'm a huge clean vox fan.

barryenright2320: Yeah, I understand what you're talking about. My favorite "live" album of all times is Halford Live Insurrection. The audience roaring through the mix brings an amazing feeling. I also adore Saxon live videos.

But I did not want to cheat the listener. The audience was not numerous enough to sound "big" and to cut through the mix.

This is a really good job but it's bit confusing. This style of editing of video is good for a regular video but not for a live video. As someone mentioned, the music sounds very much like studio. In the end you have something that doesn't look or sound like a live video. You might as well have done a typical performance video to a studio track and no one would have seen the difference. I'm sure it would have been less work this way.

My favorite "live" album of all times is Halford Live Insurrection. The audience roaring through the mix brings an amazing feeling.

Funny you brought that up. Insurrection is the most doctored up, studio sounding live album I have ever heard. I can't stand it and I love Halford from that era. I remember Halford released a live EP somewhere around that time and it sounded completely different than Insurrection (it sounded live) and what do you know - I thought it was pretty awesome.

Rip-G: I get your point. Yes, Insurrection sounds perfect, and that's why I'm loving it (and that's also why I can't stand most bootlegs).
In fact, this is a mixture of live video and video clip. It's a live video clip:) So it is produced in such a manner.
As I already said, no sample replacement, no correction anywhere. Just a regular quick mix - some eq, dynamics and limiting, reverb, delay and plate (for snare drum). And I'm loving it this way.

Yet another argument. This is just a club performance. There's no huge stare or 10k audience (not even a 1k audience, in fact). You can imagine how un-impressive it would look and sound comparing to say, Saxon live at Wacken if we did the same approach production-wise.

I have to side with Max here, I can't stand shitty sounding live recordings as much as I can't stand shitty sounding studio albums or shitty sounding actual live concerts for that matter. Some bands include a horribly recorded live version of a song already on the album as a bonus track, and it grinds my gears when they do that, plus I hate it when the audience is louder than the band in the mix, we all love some audience to get the live feel, but some live albums just overdo it (Mago de Oz's "folktergeist" comes to mind, excellent setlist, totally weak sound and overbearing audience)

Fuckin nice man. Awesome vocals man!!!!
Uuuh, thanks! It's my pleasure:))

DanLights: Exactly! And yeah, I know that Insurrection is the specific example.

Damn, it is worth it! It was the very first show in my life when we had enough time to tune everything - drumheads, mics, choose cab speakers to be miced, etc etc etc. Then I went to the FOH engineer's place with my microphone to sing and to listen to the band.
Amazing feeling. I can't express it. Wish we could do it every time we gig.

BTW, I'm totally loving the Shure beta 58 on vocals live. Makes me happy each time on the concert (and I love using it as snare top mic in the studio :heh:)

Funny thing, when I heard Max's recordings on Myspace last year, first thing I asked to him on this forum was "Are you a Roy Z fan?". Now we became friends and he made a killer live album and everyone's comparing it to Halford's Live Insurrection which is also produced by Roy Z. Good job mate :)

That was great! Very nice performance and mix and a very good song too! Can't wait for the album :)

I listen to the Grimoire EP a lot, I love that EP (especially "Oblivion" & "Grimoire")!

Is it just the camera angles or are you like 8 feet tall?

Fucking amazing voice dude and overall great live performance from the whole band

I might have to start writing some new Shadowdance songs and get a guest vocal spot on a song out of you before you get too big ;) hahaha