Check out this. I'll get you some raw tracks when completed

Deadstar

Apr 19, 2004
London, UK
www.facebook.com
I finally decided to finish recording this cover, Extol this time. Still not 100% done but I'm getting there. Now I would like to share some raw tracks with you but I would love if someone could lay down some vocal first.
Also any feedback mix-wise is appreciated (i still can't get that huge bass sound as in the original)
Here's the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds pretty good and balanced to me. I don't know that adding more bass would really help, it may make it a bit unbalanced. Guess it depends on how you add the bass. Doing it through a plugin like Magnetic II can be effective and subtle enough that it won't screw up the whole mix. Nomad Factory should offer a free trial of that. Or maybe try using Fabfilter Pro Q2 where you can watch the sound spectrum and then click individual peaks and either increase or decrease their gain. Grabbing a couple low frequency peaks may give you a boost that does what you want. There's probably some other options that'll work too, those are just two I use a lot.

I was actually thinking it had too much bass. I fixed the issue now, the low end should be tighter. Thanks for the feedback! I heard Fabfilter Pro Q2 is great, can't wait to put my hands on it.

I think that the guitars are a bit bass heavy, whereas the bass is a bit bass light. A bit more distortion in the bass will also help the bass sound bigger as a whole instrument and not just as a backbone of the mix in its background. The snare could also use a bit more attack (because it's really sustain-heavy, I'd probably tone the dry snare's sustain down a bit and add a bit more reverb but that's just me), but overall I think the mix is heading in a good direction. Maybe removing a touch of rumble in the toms will make them fit better too.

I think that the guitars are a bit bass heavy, whereas the bass is a bit bass light. A bit more distortion in the bass will also help the bass sound bigger as a whole instrument and not just as a backbone of the mix in its background. The snare could also use a bit more attack (because it's really sustain-heavy, I'd probably tone the dry snare's sustain down a bit and add a bit more reverb but that's just me), but overall I think the mix is heading in a good direction. Maybe removing a touch of rumble in the toms will make them fit better too.

that's some serious help, I agree on everything. thanks a lot.