Check out what I just put in my recording room...

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
IMAG0182.jpg

Shitty camera phone pic, but you get the idea.

It is a Vocalbooth.com Gold Series (double walled) with additional active air vents and double glazed sound proof glass in the window.

It took me forever as I got it with no brackets and hardware. So I had to improvise to attach the walls together. It actually looks better than the original. I matched the window and door with wood down each corner. The original had battleship grey corner pieces that attach the walls.

Instead I ran 3 inch wide, 7 foot long heavy duty rubber strip down each corner in a taco shape, and layered that with sound proof foam all the way down. Over that I tacked in the wodden corner to stuff them in place, then laid another rounded edge of wood down the corner to round them.

I didnt want the corners to be the weak link so I kinda overdid the sound proofing and that is what took me so long.

It being in a corner was a son of a bitch as well. Me being a fukin bear trying to drill places only a snake could fit.

Aaaannyywaaayyyy

I closed the door for the first time and it felt like an audio deprivation room. Really eerie when you step in it and that door sucks closed.

You can see all the layers that went into it here:

goldexploded.jpg

Only mine does not have the extended wall or casters.

Here it is:

4x4goldstandard.jpg

Only difference is mine has the white wood down the corners instead of metal.

Nice addition but you probably could have built one for half that price.

I paid about $500 for it. Traded gear for it on Craigslist.

The gear was worth about a $1000 but I didn't pay that much for it.

If I paid $5000 for that, I'd slap myself.

room to put a guitar cab? Full drum set? Full band?

Lol.

I can get a 4x12 in there thankfully. I do have a sound proof curtain I got from Ebay to place over the window.

Even though it double glazed, I know if I crank my JCM800 in there the window will vibrate since it is mostly aimed at vocals.

Sound_blanket2.JPG

Clips may be delayed...

I forgot Preditors came out today.

But tomorrow I will be:

Anchorman-GlassEmotion.jpg

Is it possible to put a mic outside the booth and record? Just for hear how much isolation you get with.

No clips of the sound proofing aspect yet, but here are some guitars I recorded:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9401476

This is my 83 2x12 JCM800 combo.
Single mic (sm57)
v30 speaker
Maxon OD9
2 tracks panned hard right and left.

I should have clipped the end as it just sustains into nothing around 2.15 mins. And goes on for nearly 4 mins. haha. Lazeh