What can I do about the acoustics in my small room?

thedonutman

Nov 10, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Here's a quick sketchup model of what I imagine my room will look like after I've rearranged it. Currently the desk is in the right corner by the window. I guess I'll need some bass traps - where, how big and how many? The window is two panes of double glazed glass, floor is carpet over wood, ceiling is a little plaster plus a lot of roof insulation and wood struts. All of the walls are plaster over brick and there's a cupboard built into one of the walls.

isometric.jpg

Top.jpg

And a quick animation.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers!

I don't actually run a Roadster into an Ampeg bass cab; they're just the models I could find in the Sketchup model bank. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... well some acoustic treatment will really help. However to really do it "right" you will need more room. Also it isn't like you are selling time in there :) You also have symmetry issues as well.

I would probably move the bookshelf to the "backwall" near the bed. Load it with books and such to sort of act as a poorman's diffusor.

Then build 2" or 4" panels with OC703 insulation or rockwool/mineral wool which will be 2'x4' as you will find on Ethan's site. You don't have the space to do full floor to cieling bass traps since you don't have room.

Then hit the right and left walls, and then make a cloud overhead on the ceiling. Then probably get the corner in front and the two corners in front higher up. Maybe put a panel in back.

If you look at Ethan's site with his pictures you will get the idea of what I mean. I wouldn't over treat though, you still want it to sound like a room in there, so don't cover every square inch. I would say 6-9 panels or so would cover it nicely in there.

if this is your bedroom I would suggest thinking twice about using OC703 or rockwool in a place where you will be breathing a lot... might want to look into something like Ultra Touch cotton

if this is your bedroom I would suggest thinking twice about using OC703 or rockwool in a place where you will be breathing a lot... might want to look into something like Ultra Touch cotton

as long as he isn't cutting and jumping on it in there, he should be fine. It's rigid after all, not like the pink stuff.

from what i understand there's little(really no) chance of inhaling fibers from 703 when it's covered with fabric. not sure about the rockwool, but i would assume the same is true.

It probably wouldn't be an issue. But I personally wouldn't want to be sleeping next to it every night. It's gonna be tough to get thick enough panels and still have room in your room! If it's drawn to scale... thats a tiny room!

I would put some thin plastic foil over the rockwool before covering it with fabric. This gets you two advantages. First: You get no rockwool fibers in your room, second: It reflects the high end a bit better und you prevent a dull sounding room.

Eh.. just make sure it is covered in fabric all the way round. Use lots of staples or tape up the back with duct tape if you are really worried about it. Also use a fabric with a tighter weave than the traditional burlap.

Even muslin is pretty tight. We just built some gobos with fleece that came out great. Felt is also really inexpensive.