Check this out!

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
So, my Father-in-law is a retired proffessor. He's written a few books, and is working on his latest which requires a trip to Cambridge, UK. My wife and I got to talking and, pretty much on a whim, decided we'd go over for a week to visit him. Cost be damned! It is a bit of dough, but we'll squeeze it in.

Anyway, England has long been a dream of mine, especially in connection with the vast majority of music I love. I used to sit and daydream in high school about going there, seeing shows, checking it all out etc. (I'm sure my imagination was exagerated though - I pictured Angel Witch playing down the road from Iron Maiden playing down the road from Motorhead playing down the road from Sabbath every night....you get it.)

So, of course I did a search on Ticketmaster UK to see what was playing. A few cool things, but the one that dropped my jaw was a band that I've been obsessed with of late (having only discovered them in the last year or so). My last three "hauls," have all literally been centered around this band.

Anyway, Jethro Tull!!!!!

So, I will be seeing one of my current favorite bands in their homeland!!!!!
I'm so freaking excited.

The show is in Ipswich on March 21st. Just ordered my tickets. Balcony seats, but that's fine.

JETHRO TULL!!!!!!!:headbang: :headbang:

Hawk said:
Congrats! You must be excited!! In what discipline is your father in law a proffessor? Just curious...

He was a proffessor of Library Science. Most of the books he's written were geared towards book collections, book collectors, and a couple other things. He's currently writing a book about John Carter, about whom I know nothing.

kittybeast said:
SCORE!!! Way to go Wiz, hope you and the wife have a grand time and take pictures for us! :wave:

I'll take tons of pictures, and am making a small list of heavy metal sites to see. At the top is, "have a beer at the Ruskin Arms..." if I can sort it out anyway. We won't be in London for too long - just a day.

Awesome!!

England - particularly London - is a fanstastic place. London is easily my favorite city (although Rome is not far behind)!!

I'm a history buff and with so much of (modern) history being due to British exploration (such as the story of early America), I LOVED my time there.
London has many of the great qualities that Manhattan has, but it's prettier and less "overwheling".

Be sure to check out all of the sites.

And speaking of Tull, you were right. I bought Aqualung and Minstrel earlier this week. And, as I should have known, both are kicking my ass right now. I've always overlooked Tull, but no longer am. In fact, I expect to pick up a few more of their discs this weekend!!!!!!

And they sound so "Brisith". Listening to some of the acoustic work on "Minstrel" places me in the middle of a British forest in the 17th century. The atmosphere is so....thick! Great stuff.

:headbang:

Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to dieeeeee!

Enjoy it to the max. JT was the first band I saw alive, Ian Anderson broke his leg in Peru and gave the whole concert on wheelchair and was beyond energy. I'm sure it will kick ass big time.

Yeah, SM, you hit the nail on the head with their sound. Absolute British. I think Ian Anderson is an AMAZING writer. Songs like Mother Goose on Aqualung (Plus My God, plus Up To Me, plus Hymn 43, and don't even get me started on the other acoustic stuff).

You'd probably like Songs from the Wood. Later era, but completely Green Man/Pagan/Beltane/woodsy stuff. Hell, you'll like everything up through Stormwatch for sure. I like the later stuff too, but would recommend it cautiously unless they reeeeeally get your number. Again, I think Ian Anderson is just amazing.

Everything through Heavy Horses, at the very least, is essential.

Anyway, yeah, London. I won't see London just too much, but we are still sorting out our itinerary. I'll post more fun info as time passes. Incidentally, I haven't been home yet today (except really early) but I'm sure the CDs probably showed today!